RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New akc junior hunter

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Irishwhistler 
#1 · (Edited)
This summer has been a busy one for TEAM TRAD. In July, we entered two AKC Double Hunt Tests hosted by the Maine Retriever Trial Club and the Penobscot Hunting Retriever Club and earned two qualifying scores toward an AKC JH. Last weekend we entered two back to back AKC Hunt Tests hosted by the Colonial Retriever Field Trial Club and the Labrador Retriever Club of Greater Boston respectively. TRAD at 11 months old, was the yougest dog entered in the Junior Stakes of both hunt tests. We had good solid performances from TRAD on both days and TRAD earned his AKC JH on 8/3/14. The water series was among one of the more difficult I had observed at the Junior level and a number of retrievers were eliminated on the water. We very well could have been among those dropped had I not made a critical decision to handle TRAD when he strayed off the first mark. I suspect that bird scent coming from the second gunning station may have been a factor as several dogs drifted off line from the mark for an unseen reason. I was
able to recall TRAD by whistle off land and back into water after he overshot the mark. Once the bird was 90 degrees to his right side, I gave him an "OVER" cast to which he immediately responded and that put him on the mark after a swim of approximately 20 yards from the position he was in when cast. I personally thought the second mark on water was the more difficult one and he lined straight to it, picked up, and lined straight back. Once he returned he came to HEEL on my left side, SIT and HOLD in a classic delivery to hand, that being a standard I have stuck with in training and testing. NO delivery issues were noted throughout the land or water series of either test this weekend. This has not always been the case, but any problems along the way seem to have been addressed.

As we were testing, I could not help but reflect on how TRAD at 11 months old, made JH Title exactly one month prior to the day on which I suddenly lost my beloved gundog AKC WILDROSE CAYDEN JH,SH on 9/3/13. Something tells me CAYDEN was maintaining watch from beyond over myself and TRAD with wise and approving eyes. Over the years I learned more as a trainer from CAYDEN than I can adequately express in words. CAYDEN, this one is for you my friend.

TEAM TRAD sends our sincere gratitude out to the Maine Retriever Trial Club, Penobscot Hunting Retriever Club, Colonial Retriever Field Trial Club, and Labrador Retriever Club of Greater Boston for hosting these hunt tests and for all the hard and dedicated work they put into doing so.

TTF CRAIGHORN KIFFIN TRAD JH - 8/3/14

AKC WILDROSE CAYDEN JH, SH 12/27/05 - 9/3/13 "DEEPLY MISSED". This photo of CAYDEN was taken on the day of our last hunt together over the frigid January waters of New Haven Harbor.

Slainte to all,
IRISHWHISTLER

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Mike and Trad Good job both of you. I will pass this on to Sapphire and Carol

Now get humping guy the jump to SR is a big one....

#4 ·
Aye John,
Thanks for ye note Mate! As for SH, we are already workimg toward it and it won't be the first. I plan to put lot's o' practical field experience on me lad TRAD this coming season while continuing to expand the skill sets we need to do well at the Senior level. We'll get there. I sent Carol an email the other night, thanks for letting Saphire know as well, she is a great young lady. Give your yellow dogs a scratch for me.

Cheers,
IRISHWHISTLER

#6 ·
Congrats to you and your dog!! Well done!

#11 ·
Paul,
That means a great deal coming from yourself. Thank you . Hope I see you at YWHRC HT this weekend. The pressure is off for now, just going to the test to volunteer work hours and catching up with old friends,

Cheers Mate,
Mike

#17 ·
Congratulations! Sounds like more fun to come.

#22 ·
Congrats on the title....new dog on the way....now the big jump to SH!

I have a new girl who got her JH this spring picture attached, going 4X4, like with you, that makes is feel real good about where we are going. Mine is almost through transition and will be ready for hunting this season! Yahoo! Then in spring we will get her going on SH.

Good Luck

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.