The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Muck Boot Company Buyers Beware

  1. #21

    Default

    There is a large difference in privately donating money to an organization, and flaunting it in front of your customer base via social media. A customer base that is largely horse folk, hunters, fisherman and farmers.

  2. #22
    Senior Member gdgnyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,346

    Default

    Check out HANRI FB page.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

    "Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

  3. #23

  4. #24
    Member Captzig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Kent Island, MD
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Do you guys draw a distinction between HSUS and ASPCA?
    American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals— ASPCA thinks hunting and trapping are cruel and should be outlawed everywhere, beginning with wildlife refuges. It advances its anti-hunting agenda by lobbying legislators, government officials and policy makers to obtain support for anti-sportsmen legislation. The ASPCA encourages grassroots activists to take part in letter writing campaigns to legislators and encourages boycotts of products tested on animals.

  5. #25
    Junior Member David Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I am not sure of the connection between the HSUS and the local HS shelter here, but they do a lot of good work in regards to taking care of lost/unwanted pets. Their low costs vet services to I am sure has been a god send to some folks who would have a hard time paying for services for their animals. I do not like their stances on hunting (especially here in Michigan where they successfully blocked a dove season), but at least locally they are not a 100% bad either. Hopefully as dog people some of you can understand where I am coming from with this and not flame me up to bad.





    You're correct when it comes to this, that's been one of the nocks on both the HSUS & ASPCA. The donation money goes to the main office to pay corporate and to pay marketing, in that right they are the same as PETA, it's just a marketing scam. Very little of the donations see's it's way to the local shelters, in my area the majority of money that funds the local shelter is from the municipality itself, very little comes from HSUS corporate, the majority of volunteers just care about cats and dogs and could care less about legislation, I can commend them for that. The majority of volunteers at the local shelters are well meaning!

    For what it's worth tell any animal rights person that the best thing that they can do for animals in they're local area is to buy a hunting and fishing license, even if they never use it, the money goes directly to their state DNR, to the biologists and to the wardens that enforce the laws. That is the reason that no state will ever outlaw hunting or fishing, how else could they fund the DNR?

    Funny story about a local HSUS chapter. About six or seven years ago I was suckered by some women I work with into doing a HSUS Christmas charity walk at a local outdoor mall. The dog that was given to me to walk was named Rusty. Rusty was a really sweet dog that had some yellow lab in him, yet he had never had any obedience training. One of the ladies that I work with was given a female beagle in heat, if you knew this woman, you would say that a beagle in heat is very appropriate! There were local TV cameras, child beauty pageant contestants, the HSUS and a drunk Santa Claus at the event. Within ten minutes I had Rusty sitting at heel on my left, all of a sudden I feel a warm and wet sensation on my left leg, I look down and I'm in shock as this dog is cocking his leg on me. A minute or two goes by while I'm still in shock, all of a sudden I feel that same warm and wet feeling on my right leg! I put my shin into this dog to knock him off! I'm wearing a HSUS of the Grand Strand tshirt. I'm thinking, " I can't kick this dog, I'm wearing this tshirt and I can see it now, "Man with Humane Society kicks dog at charity event, film at eleven!"

    I handed one of the girls from the local chapter the lead and she asks me why I'm giving her the dog? I tell her that I've got a seven year old Shadow bitch that has never p$ssed on me and I'm gonna go home, take a shower and then take her hunting. We shot six Woodies in a flooded cypress bay that afternoon, and till the day I put Dixie down, she never p$ssed on me!

    Back to the original topic, I really like Muck, but if you have a problem with them, there is always Lacrosse!

  6. #26
    Senior Member TCFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I am not sure of the connection between the HSUS and the local HS shelter here, but they do a lot of good work in regards to taking care of lost/unwanted pets. Their low costs vet services to I am sure has been a god send to some folks who would have a hard time paying for services for their animals. I do not like their stances on hunting (especially here in Michigan where they successfully blocked a dove season), but at least locally they are not a 100% bad either. Hopefully as dog people some of you can understand where I am coming from with this and not flame me up to bad.
    Odds are the only connection a local shelter has with HSUS would be having "Humane Society" in the title. HSUS is a large non-profit that raises lots of money(over $100 mil) every year and spends it mostly on lobbying to stop hunting and farming, paying the big wigs, raising more money ect. They play on the name "Humane Society" to make people think the donations are going to help animals in local shelters, have you ever seen one of the commercials?

    The truth is that for many years less than 1% of the money raised actually went back to local shelters.

  7. #27
    Junior Member David Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TCFarmer View Post
    Odds are the only connection a local shelter has with HSUS would be having "Humane Society" in the title. HSUS is a large non-profit that raises lots of money(over $100 mil) every year and spends it mostly on lobbying to stop hunting and farming, paying the big wigs, raising more money ect. They play on the name "Humane Society" to make people think the donations are going to help animals in local shelters, have you ever seen one of the commercials?

    The truth is that for many years less than 1% of the money raised actually went back to local shelters.

    Exactly!, The commercials are a scam, virtually none of the money they raise from tv goes to the local shelters! It's a marketing scheme just like PETA or ASPCA!

  8. #28
    Senior Member M&K's Retrievers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Royse City, TX
    Posts
    5,196

    Default

    Does Muck make flip flops?
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

    Mike Whitworth

  9. #29
    Senior Member Henlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    I volunteer at the county animal control and wife and daughter volunteer at the AC and the HS. There is a lot of good people doing a lot of good work at both places. I know the national chapter is a pain in the ass, but I would be really sad to see it take away from what is going on your local community. If any of you get the chance volunteering to walk dogs or to work an adoption event is very fulfilling experience and you should consider giving it a try.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

  10. #30
    Senior Member TCFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I volunteer at the county animal control and wife and daughter volunteer at the AC and the HS. There is a lot of good people doing a lot of good work at both places. I know the national chapter is a pain in the ass, but I would be really sad to see it take away from what is going on your local community. If any of you get the chance volunteering to walk dogs or to work an adoption event is very fulfilling experience and you should consider giving it a try.
    There is no "national chapter"

    The HSUS does take away from what is happening at your local shelter by allowing people to think it is an umbrella that covers local shelters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •