The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you do stick fetch?

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Stick fetch has nothing to do with fetching sticks.
    Copterdoc - Don was kidding about fetching sticks. He was making light about his recent tennis ball thread, or I believe he was.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

I look at it like it's similar to situational soldier combat training. Like, you can't quit doing your job just because somebody started shooting at you. It teaches to work with the direct distraction. In my experience, it has sharpened up the dogs focus tremendously. We do 2 man stick fetch on FTP, and that's where I've really seen results.

Let me clarify my question...when you start collar fetch, how do you explain to the dog that the correct response to the collar pressure is to fetch? The dog has just been thru collar sit and come...so he is thinking that the correct response to the collar pressure is to either sit or come. You are now trying to explain that the correct response to the collar pressure during collar fetch is to pick up the bumper. How do you communicate this?

My interpretation of Lardy's collar fetch is that he has done stick fetch with the dog...now he is doing the collar fetch and he uses the stick (which the dog completely understands) as a tool to indicate that the correct response to the collar pressure is to fetch. I just watched this last night, but it is subtle, so I am eager to hear what others say of this.
    Last edited by RobinZClark; 08-06-2014 at 07:35 AM.

First you force fetch on a table then force fetch on the ground when that is done you move on to walking fetch then walking stick fetch and finally walking collar fetch.It is simply a progression to solidify the foundation of force fetch. Force fetch is the foundation of your whole training program. During stick and collar fetch you do NOT apply pressure on every bumper! Maybe every third or fourth thus maybe three times per session.Once you have finished force fetch on the table and move on, you should not need to spend more than a day possibly two on each of the other steps. During this entire yard process continue to take your dogs out and train on marks keep them simple and fun for them, it's their therapy from the pressure of yard work. Keep studying your program and have fun. Guy

As far as collar conditioning, you are teaching a dog to work through pressure. sit-nick-sit here-nick-here fetch-nick-fetch the dog will know what you want cause you have given the command first.

Stick fetch is not done because trainers believe their ff was not good enough. It is proofing of ff and preparing the dog for more advanced force work.
    I see it as a transition step to collar fetch.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by dogguy438 View Post
    First you force fetch on a table
    I would say that is far from universal.

Pretty universal for old guys with bad backs. LOL!
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by RobinZClark View Post
    Thanks copterdoc, your search was much more productive than mine. After having started to attempt collar fetch, I completely see the point of stick fetch, but I don't really understand why some people don't seem to need it. Maybe people who are really good at FF in general don't need stick fetch, but people whose FF is not complete enough do?
    Lots of people accomplish the same goals by taking completely different paths.

Regardless of the method(s) employed by the trainer, the best results will be achieved by the trainer that does the best job of employing the method(s) they choose to use.

They do the best job of communicating what they want, reading the dog's reaction, and knowing when the dog understands what it needs to understand.

Let me clarify my question...when you start collar fetch, how do you explain to the dog that the correct response to the collar pressure is to fetch? The dog has just been thru collar sit and come...so he is thinking that the correct response to the collar pressure is to either sit or come. You are now trying to explain that the correct response to the collar pressure during collar fetch is to pick up the bumper. How do you communicate this?
    An overarching theme of basics, is teaching the dog to understand applied pressure, as reinforcement of the command(s) that are given.

The pressure isn't supposed to be the command. It's supposed to reinforce the command that was given.
    And it goes much farther than just verbal commands. There are many situations that the dog learns to recognize as "commanding" it to respond a certain way.

......My interpretation of Lardy's collar fetch is that he has done stick fetch with the dog...now he is doing the collar fetch and he uses the stick (which the dog completely understands) as a tool to indicate that the correct response to the collar pressure is to fetch. I just watched this last night, but it is subtle, so I am eager to hear what others say of this.
    When a new form of pressure elicits a refusal to perform a trained action, you need to immediately respond with a form of pressure that the dog understands as reinforcement of the refused command.

That's how you stabilize the dog's reaction, and gradually condition the correct response to the new form of pressure.

This all depends on your having established a solid foundation of understanding with at least one influential form of applied pressure, that you can immediately fall back on.

If the new form of pressure immediately crumbles your foundation, you didn't actually have a strong enough foundation to begin building on.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Copterdoc - Don was kidding about fetching sticks. He was making light about his recent tennis ball thread, or I believe he was.
    Ya, I was. Sorry.
    Anyway, I have done the stick fetch per Lardy. I don't do it any more. Just don't see the value................but that's just me.
    Once I get through FF it seems like stick fetch does not add much so I dropped it on the last couple dogs and have not seen any problems.
    With that note, we never fetch sticks..........
    Don