The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you do stick fetch?

I have used stick fetch with all my dogs. It is another form of pressure that they are introduced to that
    I may, and have, use in the future. As far as whacking them I don't think I would use that adjective.
    I have a helper behind me and we go down the line with alternating: fetch only, light tap, fetch only , little harder tap, and
    I can honestly say just a fair tap to introduce the heeling stick and have had good success with it. Just spend a day or two and
    have been glad to have this tool in my tool box. I will add that I am particular with what task I use the stick with. I actually use it to help
    me work on heeling forward and backward. I do not like to use it on line for sit as I feel it can make the dog too crunchy and worried.
    It can be a useful tool if used correctly. I will rub it gently on the dog to get them use to it and to not be afraid.
    Last edited by jollydog; 08-09-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

"I believe that dogs can develop a sense of anxiety from the heeling stick."

"Anxiety" travels from what is on the other end of the stick.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

With a proper FF and CC, I don't see a heeling stick as a tool. Most people I see using it just nag the hell out of the dog with it or you get the people who use it with enough force to break bone. Timing needed for stick fetch is most often not correct for average amateur trainer. Time better spent doing good force fetch, good CC and good fundamental obedience. Solid obedience is much more important and of much more use than stick fetch.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I follow TRT and I am not a good enough trainer to skip steps. As long as Lardy does stick fetch, so will I.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Dawn, fantastic response. I stick fetch is not a bad step but not a crucial step in the FF process at all

I do stick fetch in my training program, but by what a lot of people are saying maybe I don't understand everything about stick fetch.
    My understanding was after walking fetch to do stick fetch. But I wasn't using stick fetch as a distraction but more to compel the dog to run away from me and fetch what I wanted him to pick up.
    I've always used it as a first step to force to pile. I use my heeling stick in a scooping motion and sometimes I just smack the ground behind the dog as they are running to make the pick-up. Kind of using the heeling stick as something that the dog is escaping from.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

[QUOTE=RobinZClark;1245071]Let me clarify my question...when you start collar fetch, how do you explain to the dog that the correct response to the collar pressure is to fetch?

Collar presure is replacing the pressure from the ear pinch. So you hold out the bumper say fetch as the dog goes to fetch the bumper apply collar presure in place of the ear pinch. Once the dog has the bumper remove the pressure. If you have done things (FF) correctly before going to collar fetch (collar presure) the dog will understand what you're asking and will know how to get out of the pressure correctly.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    You'll find that they don't need it because once they are force fetched and through the initial part of their force program, they don't need to be wacked on the behind walking past a row of bumpers. It's over kill. ANd a way to start the foundation for a bad attitude. Go play Whack-A-Mole at the arcade, instead.
    There some successfull trainers down here that would disagree with what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Care to expound on how you use stick fetch as a no go cure?
    I used this approach with my young dog that we had some issues with going on marks and blinds when I picked him up from the Pro who had him for the winter. Short version (details left out): Come to the line, but face away and throw a mark from my side, stick/marble after being sent, turn around and run cold blind. We were adding pressure in a situation we knew that the dog would go (happy/short mark), reinforcing the lesson of ignoring the pressure whether physical or mental, turn around and run cold blind with the premise that he just ignored pressure and was calmer mentally so he would not cave to the pressure (mental) of running a cold blind. This approach worked, because we were able to fall back onto physical correction vs. collar correction which we had tried, but felt like we were digging a hole for the dog and myself. Sometimes ya got to think outside the box and take a step back to a more simplified version of pressure for the dog to understand.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I have used a stick to act as a visual blocker on dogs that were having trouble breaking. Holding the stick across the chest and using it maintain attention and control. While I did say that I don't stick fetch as a rule. I do say that it's a tool in my box. Just my 2 cents.
    Don