The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hip Dysplasia Question

Default Hip Dysplasia Question

What percentage of the time would a Good X Excellent produce dysplastic hips?

To the best of my knowledge we still do not have a scientific/statistical guaranteed answer to that question. Other input out there?

A bunch of it will depend on the genetics behind the specific dogs involved.
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry S. View Post
    What percentage of the time would a Good X Excellent produce dysplastic hips?
    Got an old graphic chart (from Feb 2011) showing predicted results based on hip ratings. As I recall, the chart was for all breeds, not just Labs. OFApredictionChart.jpg
    Didn't see the equivalent information currently available on the OFA website, but a more thorough search may find something. Based on the chart, excellent sire to good dam would result in 7% dysplastic while good sire to excellent dam would produce 6% dysplastic. Keep in mind the data is several years old and is purely statistical in nature.
    Last edited by bakbay; 08-06-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: add aditional info
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

I have a chart here from data thru June 2003 for Labs and it was about the same... 6% if dam was Exc and sire good, 6.6% if sire was Exc and Dam was good.

I have read that rather than focus on the immediate sire & dam, you want to focus on the ancestors of them & the siblings within each litter (sire & dam). The more good & excellent in each category the better.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

You have to look at the whole picture so to speak. Siblings, aunts, and uncles, along with parents, grandparents, and greats. Previous offspring is also important. The reasoning is: out of a litter of 10 pups, there can be one Excellent rated pup and two that failed, with two more with Fair, and the rest not tested. That Excellent rated pup is NOT the same as a pup that came from a litter of 10 of all pups with Good-Excellent scores. This goes for expanded pedigrees as well. If an Excellent or Good rated dog is from a pedigree with missing OFA's on parents, grandparents, or great parents, it is NOT the same as a pup that came from a multi-generation pedigree with passing hip scores.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Your on the right track firehouselabs. The trouble is most COMPLETE litters are not OFA/Penn Hip checked. Pups w/bad pre-lims are never turned in so our stats are skewered to start.

Right on Raina. And to swliszka, I wish we had more data. I'd love to feel absolutely confident in a breeding....There are a few breeders out there doing a really good job getting their puppy people to get x-rays done so they have whole litter data.

Related to OFA's but not hips...why are people still not doing elbows? Many, many times you see breedings missing elbows. Are there really that many failing or that many not doing them?

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Quote Originally Posted by suepuff View Post
    Related to OFA's but not hips...why are people still not doing elbows? Many, many times you see breedings missing elbows. Are there really that many failing or that many not doing them?

Sue
    I do plenty of OFAs, mostly retriever breeds and obviously mostly Labradors and these days almost everyone that comes to my practice requests both hips and elbows.