The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pups came early

Default Pups came early

Pups came either 2 days or 4 day early depending on when it took. She had 10 but we lost 4. I'm guessing because they were early. Just a guess,they looked fine and the 4 that died were the biggest pups but not by much. Anyone else had this trouble with early pups. Dam's first litter. I'll post pics tomorrow

Well these things happen. A couple of days early is not much of anything to worry about. Loosing pups would be. i have lost a whole litter on my first try. They were three weeks early only saved one. Make sure your whelping area is set up so the Dam can't get any pups behind her. As they will not move when nursing, and will suffocate a pup when they get under them. Prepare to camp out with the litter until they get big enough to move out of the way of the dam.

Hey Labman, if this was recent and you still have the deceased puppy bodies can you check in their mouth to see if any had cleft palettes? Not usually a 'premie' problem but certain types of CP come with other defects and often the puppies don't live very long. If you haven't checked the puppies that are alive, I would quickly examine them too. I'm sure there are a billion other possibilities but that is one I've experienced so just throwing it out there.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

The normal gestation period for dogs is 58-63 days, how much earlier were they? Did someone supervise the whelping? How long did the pups survive?
    Last edited by EdA; 08-07-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Early according to breeding but not too early to be born ... It is my understanding that we should count from day 63 of LH surge NOT day 63 from 1st breeding ... so pups can come any time from day 57... To be safe I always monitor temps 2X daily from day 55 and keep a journal. I attached some charts folks here might find helpful if not seen already ...

ill_breeding2.jpgOestgraph32-1024x509.jpgtemp2.jpg

I’m not knocking you Dave, I saw your post on FB and just felt terribly sad.... just a learning experience but probably nothing you could do. I hope your 6 thrive and gorw to be amazing dogs!!! Love LB and I am sure thats going to be a rock solid group you have on your hands!

Also ... in case you or anyone else have a “fading” pup that may need suplimentation ... I belive this combo saved my 5 month old boy at 4 days + warmth. ((Note * DROPPER FEED do not tube feed infant fading pup))

Puppy formula (dry) mixed per instructions constituted with Pedialite rather than water (I mixed small batches about 2 TBL Spns at a time). 3 drops of puppy iron/vitamin supplement. A generous drop of kayro syrup. ... gently warmed and fed via dropper every 1 - 2 hours.
    Last edited by runnindawgz; 08-07-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added supplement info for fading puppy
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD RA NA (OA2) NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN SH (RN2)
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QAA)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA NA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

I had buried them soon after I found them. I had planned on staying up with her the next few nights but when I got up that morning all 10 were born and 3 were dead. 1 more died after all were feeding and I went inside to take a shower. All are doing well now and gained between 2 and 3.5 oz just in 15 hrs. Smallest two day old pup is 14.1 oz and biggest is 17.1 oz the other are all pretty close to 15.7 oz. They are all bigger than my last two litters at day 2. Getting plenty from moma I guess since only 6.

I count from day of ovulation base on teachings from repro vets. So, basically from a progesterone of 5. I start recording temps at day 55, 2X a day at least. Some of you probably think it's too much, but I work full time and have few litters. I want all the live puppies I can get. I use the same chart that Danielle does, the one on the far right.

Dave, 6 is a perfect sized litter. Are you going to try a litter box? Enjoy them! I have puppy fever. My girl is due in two weeks.

Litter box info here: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...truction/page3
    Last edited by suepuff; 08-08-2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Add link
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

My girl had hers about 4 days earlier then we expected. Started on April fools day. According to Vet she was do April 5. Walked in the back and she already had one . My husband thought I was joking when I yelled to him. The exrays showed 7 pups with a shadow that could be the 8th. She had all 7 form 8:00 pm to 2:20 am. I move pups to welping box at 6:30 am and went to work. Husband called and said another was born sometime before 9:00 am . We had to nurse that one with dropper for 24 hours. She is the one we kept out of the litter. We had the mother of my girl and she had 8 pups with only 4 live. No idea why they starting dying.

Proud Moma and her 6 babies. LB X Dash(Grady female) Thanks to Mr John Lash for allowing us to breed to LB, Lets hope he gets that last half pt for his FC this fall!

Good luck. Hope you keep the little yellow one. Mom look good, and a lot like my girl.