The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swim-by day 2...not so stellar

Default Swim-by day 2...not so stellar

Just finished up TT. This AM was day 2 of swim by. Teaching the centerline and back pile, no force yet. Dog is absolutely leaping into the water when I mark the pile, but when sent on back command she tip-toes in. Few times she stopped at the shores edge and I had to give her the back command again to get her in the water. One time she started to chew on some reeds. That got her a burn and back.

Chalk it it up to her not knowing the game yet or should I have a slight concern? Maybe just a bad day at the office? Any one relate to what I had happen?

program: fowl dawgs. Completed all proceeding basic steps.

Make sure that there is much teaching first. When she loses momentum, throw one out there and keep her interest on the back. Do the same on overs until she really gets the concept. No hurry.

Some pups take a bit longer to make the transition from what they learned on land to understanding the commands mean the same thing w/ water. Don't despair over issues that crop up early in the program. I'd be very careful about using electric pressure until pup shows a full understanding of what's expected. It's easy to wind up w/ a dog that's spooky on water. Take it slow, only a couple of reps for the first few days and keep the attitude up and the distances short. You might do a short, no pressure TT drill before going to water.
    Good luck.
    I was typing this when Bev posted. What she said. Teach first.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Burns View Post
    Make sure that there is much teaching first. When she loses momentum, throw one out there and keep her interest on the back. Do the same on overs until she really gets the concept. No hurry.
    Teach first and go slow! Good luck.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Any chance you can post up some video of a session?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

How has the rest of the training gone with your dog? How was she doing on the back pile of TT when you finished?

She sounds like a dog that knows what you want but doesn't want to do it. But, it could also be confusion.

Tom
    Tom Wall

I'm not familiar with the training program you are using, but if I remember correctly, "force to water" was completed prior to starting water "T".

It doesn't sound like your pup knows that not going is an option.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Some pups take a bit longer to make the transition from what they learned on land to understanding the commands mean the same thing w/ water. Don't despair over issues that crop up early in the program. I'd be very careful about using electric pressure until pup shows a full understanding of what's expected. It's easy to wind up w/ a dog that's spooky on water. Take it slow, only a couple of reps for the first few days and keep the attitude up and the distances short. You might do a short, no pressure TT drill before going to water.
    Good luck.
    I was typing this when Bev posted. What she said. Teach first.
    Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    How has the rest of the training gone with your dog? How was she doing on the back pile of TT when you finished?

She sounds like a dog that knows what you want but doesn't want to do it. But, it could also be confusion.

Tom

She ended up finishing the TT just fine. I wouldn't say she was taking off like a rocket ship every time from the back of the TT but she ended the last few sessions without any no-goes and did excellent during a few sessions of run-by.

In this program water force is done at the beginning of swim by after the back pile it taught.

I think she's just a bit confused and nervous about the new set up. Well see how tomorrow goes.

Quote Originally Posted by P J View Post
    I'm not familiar with the training program you are using, but if I remember correctly, "force to water" was completed prior to starting water "T".

It doesn't sound like your pup knows that not going is an option.
    Fowl Dogs is put out by Rick Stawski, pretty fair hand with a dog and a nice set of tapes. Follows basic Carr/Graham/Lardy methodology.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

[QUOTE=goldieretriever50;1245663]She ended up finishing the TT just fine. I wouldn't say she was taking off like a rocket ship every time from the back of the TT but she ended the last few sessions without any no-goes and did excellent during a few sessions of run-by.

I think you want the dog to be driving back to the pile on land before you do it on water. If you think the land work is solid, You might try doing it on land, then turning and trying the same send on water (in the same session).
    Coppertop's Captain Kirk CD MH WCX CCA VC (2004-2011) (Kirk)
    Gaylan's Roddenberry a la Mode SH WCX CCA (Kira)
    Top Flight's Cayuga Klingon SH, WC. (Worf)
    Coppertop's Trill of a Lifetime (in training) (Dax)