The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How poisonous are onions?

Default How poisonous are onions?

I was reading the ingredients of my dog treats and it has onion extract as the last ingredient.

http://www.petinsurance.com/healthzo...nd-Onions.aspx

According to this source the consumption of 0.5% of the dogs body weight at one time can produce clinical disease, that would translate to a 50 LB dog consuming 4 ounces of onions. What is not so clear is the amount of lesser consumption over a longer period of time.

Onions are not good..... sometimes tiny amounts are used as flavor to entice dogs to eat the treat.. Could this eventually hurt your dogs health, it would depend on your dogs weight and the amount of treats fed... the larger the dog, the more it has to eat to do harm.

It would be a question for the treat maker and your Vet..
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Thanks, it would be interesting to see what the treat maker says about it. I'm going to google it first.

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    Thanks, it would be interesting to see what the treat maker says about it. I'm going to google it first.
    Dr. Ed gave you about all you need to know
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

One time when I was at my local emergency vet, they had a young puppy they were giving blood transfusions. I can't remember if the issue was bleeding or low red count, but the cause was that the breeder had been feeding the puppies garlic supposedly for flea control. The breeder had signed over the puppy to the clinic. Apparently they were investing in saving its life with the expectation of finding it a home.

"Young" means less than six weeks. I can't remember exactly, but it was very small.

I wouldn't be surprised if the treat manufacturer in your case has no idea that onions are dangerous to dogs. I've seen treats advertised as containing chocolate, too. I might be getting cynical as I get older.

Amy Dahl

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Dr. Ed gave you about all you need to know
    I was thanking Dr. Ed also in the previous post. The reason I am curious for more information is that I have feeding the treats for a long time and felt safe with it. You are right about not needing anymore information to stop using the treat.

It is Puperoni. I gave my male dog his Thyroid medicine in a piece of Pupperoni twice a day for ten years until he died all of a sudden on his 12th birthday. My female dog died early with some kind of mysterious low blood sugar problem also at the age of 9 two months later after getting a new puppy. I think Amy Dahl had/has a litter mate to my female. She was a good dog. I could have easily corrected the problem I had with her now if I knew then what I know now.

p.s. What really irks me is I have been giving it to my puppy and could have easily been giving him something else.
    Last edited by DL; 08-07-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added something

I found this response with google to someone named Jimmy. I'm just going to stop feeding it, and read the labels from now on.

"Hi Jimmy, we understand your concern. We add a very small amount of onion extract and garlic powder as flavoring in some of our dog snack recipes. At these low levels, it is completely safe for dogs, and the FDA has approved its use in dog food and treats. Studies with dogs have found that adverse affects are only a concern when onion is consumed at much higher levels, well above the small amount added to our treats. If you have additional questions our Consumer Affairs team would be happy to help and are reachable at 888-321-7530."

my dog has eaten entire onions and had no probs....some dogs can and some cant...

What is the toxin in onions or in garlic?