The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How poisonous are onions?

My vet gave me a liver treat recipe that garlic powder is sprinkled on the liver before baking. They said totally safe at that small amount. If you read most treats have something or another for flavor.

You guys have me reading all the ingredients AGAIN. Never know if something might have been added since the first time I read them! Its hard to keep Indy away from onions. If you drop any while chopping, or there are some left on the plate he gets to clean, he's eating them. Fortunately, its never enough to scare me, but to think they might be in the treats he gets everyday, that's different.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Know a guy that has a 120lb GSD that if not careful will eat a whole onion as a treat for himself.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

This thread has got me interested. Jackie Mertens even recommends Puperoni in her popular puppy video for treat training young puppies. I too used these treats for teaching my young pup and occasionally give him a few pieces every now and then. Is the amount of onion extract in these treats at levels to be truly concerned about? What are the symptoms of consumption of onions?

The ingestion of toxic amounts of onion or onion by products produce an acute hemolytic anemia which is life threatening if untreated.
    http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com...-dogs-and-cats

Dr. Ed, I pulled this sentence from the article linked above.
    Allium species toxicosis typically ensues after consumption of a single large quantity of the material or repeated small amounts. Dogs and cats are highly susceptible to onion toxicosis:

My question, would those small amounts referred to be as small as what is in the treats? Or do they mean repeated exposure to say, a whole small onion! Wondering if any of the commercially produced treats are safe. Might have to go back to making my own.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Water can be toxic in too high quantities .. Treats are loaded with fat for the most part and that is most likely worse then a smidgen of onion extract..

Look into something like buying a small bag of ZIWI Peak to use as treats.. A 2 lb bag is made up of all little squares of jerky that is air dried.. from New Zealand and very safe..
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Here's my question for the vet... this scares the willies out of me. My husband grows onions in his garden. If my dog digs some up and chows down on a bunch of them, what is the treatment? Does the lysis of RBC's begin immediately? Could the hemoglobin clog the dog's renal tubules? Do you flush the system with a lot of IV fluids and give transfusions? Or is there an antidote?

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    Here's my question for the vet... this scares the willies out of me. My husband grows onions in his garden. If my dog digs some up and chows down on a bunch of them, what is the treatment? Does the lysis of RBC's begin immediately? Could the hemoglobin clog the dog's renal tubules? Do you flush the system with a lot of IV fluids and give transfusions? Or is there an antidote?
    I built a fence around our garden, not for the dogs but for the sheep and rabbits but it is multi species. That is a much simpler solution than worrying about your dogs unknowingly digging in the garden, eating onions, wondering how much they ate, inducing vomiting, and waiting to see if they develop Heinz body anemia.