The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Labrador Size - what happened?

Default Labrador Size - what happened?

I have a well bred black male that just returned from the trainer. The dog is smart and has great drive. He has all the qualities I want in a gun dog with one exception - he is small. At one year old he only weighs about 50 lbs. His FC-AFC father was 92 lbs. / mother was 60 lbs.

He's never been a big eater and often has diarrhea (not sure if this is from all the activity and excitement - vet found nothing)

He's a great dog, I just can't figure out why he's some small. Any thoughts?

the dam contributes to 50% of the dog's genetics...Have you seen other dogs in the litter ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by pcarpenter View Post
    I have a well bred black male that just returned from the trainer. The dog is smart and has great drive. He has all the qualities I want in a gun dog with one exception - he is small. At one year old he only weighs about 50 lbs. His FC-AFC father was 92 lbs. / mother was 60 lbs.

He's never been a big eater and often has diarrhea (not sure if this is from all the activity and excitement - vet found nothing)

He's a great dog, I just can't figure out why he's some small. Any thoughts?
    Got wet as a baby and shrunk.

I have a male GR @ about 63lbs. Full brother litter mate a @ 89. The way of nature.

On the plus side, you have a perfect size duck boat dog.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Breeder claims the other two males are each around 85 lbs.

Derry Pa Blackhawk's Southern Cross SH CD 9/22/93 - 7/15/08

Why does it matter if he is 50 pounds or 90 pounds? I have a male 54 pounds, he handles big geese just fine. His brother on the other hand is 80 pounds.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

We had an outstanding black lab who weighed 50 lbs. dripping wet with a full meal in his belly! One of the most exciting and talented dog we've owned.

Good luck with your little guy!
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

People on here get real touchy about this topic so get ready because it's probably going to end in a war.

Nature is going to take it's course and some of the litter will be bigger than others, that's just the way it is. If you have small blood lines your going to get a small dog. These really big dogs didn't just happen by accident I can assure you of that. Selective breeding is the only way to get dogs to the extreme like that. On the other hand, if you have normal size parents and bloodlines, a percentage will be small, a percentage will be normal and a percentage will be larger. I don't consider an 80 lb dog a big lab. When I think of a big lab, I think of 100+ lbs. These are the dogs I am talking about that don't happen by accident.

My chocolate female weighed 49.5#s at 4 months on the vets scale ,at 6 months she now weighs 71#s . Her sire was 86.5#s , bitch was 51#s . My friend has her female litter mate she is now 46#s , you just never know what they will end up .

AKC standard is 65-80 lbs for dogs and 55-70 for bitches

I love them smaller 65-70ish
    Ted was 74 but he was stout
    I'm hoping Ben finishes around 65 lbs
    Last edited by 480/277; 08-07-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Generally, the smaller dogs have fewer orthopedic issues.