The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: So, how much would you pay to enter a Master test?

I had hoped to title and qualify for the MN in SC next year, But I am not going to go thru all kinds of gyrations and angst to get my dog entered. I WILL run the Q
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

[QUOTE=Lady Duck Hunter;1246167]Put it into perspective....how much does a weekend of other forms of entertainment cost? How much is a baseball game? Concert? Or hunting at your lease?

Had a date day on a Sunday (usually reserved for dogs) and went to a movie. Total about $30 for 2 hrs. Not bad movie but wasn't even close to watching a JR HT. Way more excitement, surprise and joy there.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

the trend that is seemingly pandemic through all the dog games is that the more you try and limit the field by increased fees, restricted entry,O/H only,limited entries per handler, do exactly the OPPOSITE of what was intended...There will always be someone willing to pay the fee

If you want to find out how much money someone has just tell them they cant afford things. They will mortgage the farm,and take out a loan on their kids inheritance just to prove that they can..

Increasing the costs will only drive the heart and soul of the dog games out, the AMATEUR...they are the ones that put on the games, provide the venues/grounds, provide the needed labor so that someone else can run their dog

Dont have an immediate solution but has anyone considered making the standard itself more difficult, and thereby making a PASS worth more,instead of just a foregone conclusion
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

You could make the standard tougher by requiring higher averages to pass. However, since it's subjective I would bet the pass numbers wouldn't drop much.
    Tom Dorroh

Hmm. Not sure what I'd pay but if they gonna keep raising it, it'll probably be 6 tests for an absolutely ready dog, and then good bye AKC...Wait I think that's how it's already played, except for that first dog, good thing they weren't raising price and one could get into test back then
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    And was I ,no harm ,no foul.
    Then you see what you have yet to experience.....!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate_C View Post
    unfortunately in the short term if they all go up as much as they ask. But after awhile I would end up getting out of the game.
    Same. That goes for any venue. Have not done HT. Have seen training towards the event and joined in but did not like this venue as well as HRC and FT. Would go back to agility where I can train in the backyard if costs ran up substantially. Don't make it too hard folks It is not rocket science and money should not the big factor! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Let’s assume the single MH HT is about 150 miles away. That is far enough to need a motel and meals, too far to practically commute.
    300 mile round trip at 17 MPG is $75 worth of fuel
    Hotel for Saturday night only $90
    Decent but not extravagant meal for you and spouse $40
    Assume eating sandwiches and chips brought from home for lunch both days $15
    Entry fee for a single Master at todays rate $75

Total $295

If the entry were $100, the total would be $320

Would you still not enter at $100?

Double MH that is 300 miles away.
    Travel fuel $125
    Drive thru meals on the road $40
    2 nights hotel $180
    2 dinners reasonable restaurant 2 people $80
    Lunch stuff from home $20
    Entry for 2 days at todays rate $150
    Total $595
    Total if entry fee is $100 per day $645
    I personally don’t care what the entry fee is as long as I have decent grounds, winger thrown birds, good birds that float, competent judges. The entry fee is inconsequential in the big picture to every one except the host club. Increased entry fees can keep clubs from going “cheap” and not hosting a quality event.
    JMHO
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Perry View Post
    Let’s assume the single MH HT is about 150 miles away. That is far enough to need a motel and meals, too far to practically commute.
    300 mile round trip at 17 MPG is $75 worth of fuel
    Hotel for Saturday night only $90
    Decent but not extravagant meal for you and spouse $40
    Assume eating sandwiches and chips brought from home for lunch both days $15
    Entry fee for a single Master at todays rate $75

Total $295

If the entry were $100, the total would be $320

Would you still not enter at $100?

Double MH that is 300 miles away.
    Travel fuel $125
    Drive thru meals on the road $40
    2 nights hotel $180
    2 dinners reasonable restaurant 2 people $80
    Lunch stuff from home $20
    Entry for 2 days at todays rate $150
    Total $595
    Total if entry fee is $100 per day $645
    I personally don’t care what the entry fee is as long as I have decent grounds, winger thrown birds, good birds that float, competent judges. The entry fee is inconsequential in the big picture to every one except the host club. Increased entry fees can keep clubs from going “cheap” and not hosting a quality event.
    JMHO
    MP
    Or you could enter one 15 miles away and pay 275 entry fee and break even with the out of town one. After all you saved hotel, fuel, and eating out.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Or you could enter one 15 miles away and pay 275 entry fee and break even with the out of town one. After all you saved hotel, fuel, and eating out.
    That is why I like the idea of allowing clubs to charge higher fees and lower them until they fill up--dutch auction style--as a way to manage entries rather than ration them. If folks have a strong preference for a particular HT, like because they could sleep in their own bed, they would probably be willing to pay more for that one where I might not and might only go if I get a deal. I know it will never work--it is too efficient a way to deal with excess demand and I think some folks get a lot of marginal utility from complaining about them filling up so fast.