The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swim-by/Water handling

Quote Originally Posted by medic09 View Post

And JS, I have looked into the Buckeye Retriever club in Hambden and have ran a few tests there, only problem is its an hour drive and my work schedule doesn't make it possible to train there daily like i need to. I've tried looking around with no success and that's why I'm asking everyone on here now, see if anyone else has had the same problem.

Well, I do understand if your schedule does not allow the time then you need to figure out another way. Maybe have a pro do it for you. (I do vaguely remember what it was like to work )

An hour of travel each way and a half hour training though, is not that unusual. Most of my training days take up at least that much time even if I'm staying close to home. Scratch your head and see if you can't figure out a way, if only for a few weeks.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Wayne, I have water to train on, just nothing that will work for teaching swim-by. What I'm asking is if there are any other drills you can do to teach handling in water. I've looked into joining Buckeye before but I won't be able to get out there daily due to my work schedule and my dog needs to train everyday to make progress, she doesn't do well missing a day or two straight.

Oh and about a pro trainer, definitely don't have the extra cash for that!

Can you post a picture of the pond/water you have access to or give the grid coordinates? (Goggle earth)
    I'll look at it and see if I can give you some suggestions.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

medic09- Don't know exactly how it works in other areas of the country, but I go to town hall to access the property tax maps to determine land ownership once I identify a possible training property. I bet some towns/cities might even have this stuff online. I've found it easy to get owner's names, little harder to get phone numbers now that so many have given up their landlines and therefore aren't listed in telephone directories. Luckily the older people who are more likely to keep their landline phones are also more likely to allow me to use their property. Keep looking and asking, all they can do is say no.