The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitch in season and hunt tests

We've been to more than a few weekend events across the nation and i have never ever seen a bitch check at a ht or ft.
    Never -
    Dk

That is a huge problem. I ran a Qualy some years ago and my dog was the third male to follow a bitch who was supposed NOT to be in season. Each of those dogs , including mine had so much froth and bubble in their mouth from holding blind to sending line. The bitch was co-owned by a well-known pro and Vet. I asked the marshal to ask the judges to have a bitch check before she ran but they ignored it. The only other recourse was to call on the FT committee. I did not do it. I either got a 4th or 3rd ..happy days...

I have 23 years in the games running and judging and have never seen one at a weekend test or trial.

I have, however, seen dogs that were in season 24/7 365 days a year! LOL!!!! The owners INSISTED the bitch that just ran ahead of them was in heat; problem was the bitches were SPAYED!- Even a tightly coiled snake is in trouble regards-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    We've been to more than a few weekend events across the nation and i have never ever seen a bitch check at a ht or ft.
    Never -
    Dk
    Only time I have ever seen it was at the NAHRA Invitational. They brought a vet on site to do the check....I have never once seen it done at a weekend event...
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Our training group always want the females out and running first. Gets the guys to pay attention to marks and not other parts. I have had plenty in my judging days that the handler complained there must be a dog in heat because dogs nose was to the ground. Last time one complained, we checked the running order and at that time no females ran yet. We use to see bitch checks more back than but rarely now. As Dave Kress said, the ones of us with females some time have no choice to bring them with us. If I have agreed to judge and my girl come in heat I contact the club and let them know, and the one time it happened they did not care, they needed me judging more. I just never took her out of the truck around the test and parked further back. In my judges meeting, I warned all the handlers to stay clear of my truck. thankfully it does not happen often,

Three weeks from the day of first blood before they'll go to a test. We always run our bitches in heat during training and prefer to run them first. In 8 years running HT in the Mid Atlantic and Southeast, I've never seen a bitch check.

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I guess I'm getting old. Back in the late 80's and early 90's I ran quite a few HRC HT's and bitch check was mandatory. When your bitch passed they'd give you a ticket (like the ones they use for the raffles) and you had to present it to the marshal at the first series in order to run.

More recently I took a young bitch to a northern HT a couple of months after her first estrus cycle. I hadn't bothered to check her since I was sure she wouldn't be back in season so soon and we ran first on Sat. AM. However, on the second day I was asked to do a bitch check. I was SHOCKED to see the toweling come back bright red! I was nearly 800 miles from home in MN visiting my son. The person running the bitch check held her finger to her lips and told me to just run last. I didn't know she was in season and felt bad if I'd screwed up someone's dog, but I was grateful to be allowed to run anyway. They got even that night with a bucket of cold MN water to celebrate a title earned!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    Never -
    Dk
    The only time I was asked to have my gal checked was at the Grand a few years back. I had a note from my vet that Layla was spayed but still had to line up at o'dark thirty for the mandatory bitch check. Showed the folks my note but they still wanted her off the truck for a check. No way, I said and told them that unless one of them could produce a vet's license they were not touching my dog. Finally got my card punched and carried it in my shirt pocket for the next 4 days. You're supposed to line up each morning and get your card punched. F that I said. I was never asked to show my card for the entire time we were there. And I got to sleep in a bit each day.

The few times I've seen a bitch check done, it was a quick tissue swipe for blood. No blood=good to go....which makes no sense at all.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

With the Ovary Sparring Spay the girls will still go in heat with minimal to no blood discharge.