The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Stewart runs down another driver killing him.

Default Tony Stewart runs down another driver killing him.

Video is very graphic so don't watch as you may become ill...

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-ste...ium=socialflow

We only have the sound and the spectators voice to actually know if it was Stewart's dirt track car..... but who ever was driving the car seems to go out of his way to hit and kill Keven Ward Jr.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5665445.html

Shocking video no matter who was the driver... this is being investigated by the local sheriffs dept.

An accident in the corner occurs and keven Ward Jr gets out of his car and points down Stewart as to the cause of his crash.... Track is dark so who knows if Stewart ever saw Ward.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...race-has-died/
    On Saturday, August 9, 2014, at or about 10:30 p.m., there was an on-track incident at the Exit of Turn 2 at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park, during the Lucas Oil SuperSprint Feature race. The race was in Lap 14 of a 25-lap race, when one car lost control and spun coming to rest along the outside retaining wall. The race was immediately put into caution, slowing the cars on the track. The driver of the car that spun exited the race car and walked down the track onto the racing surface. Two racecars traveling in tandem approached as the driver continued down the track, gesturing to the two approaching cars. The first car swerved to avoid the driver out on the track. The second car, operated by Tony Stewart, struck the driver. The driver was treated by on-track medical staff and was transported to F.F. Thompson Hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 11:15 p.m. At this point, Mr. Stewart has cooperated with the investigation, which is ongoing. The Sheriff’s Office has asked the individuals who possess amateur video, to please make contact with this office so that copies of the video accounts can be obtained for review. Please contact the Sheriff’s Office at 585-394-4560.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 08-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I don't think he ever saw him and when he did he was already along side his car. Stewart turned right and goosed the gas to try and kick his rear tire left to avoid hitting him. There is no way anyone would intentionally hit a person going that speed.

Horrible situation.

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Video is very graphic so don't watch as you may become ill...

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-ste...ium=socialflow

We only have the sound and the spectators voice to actually know if it was Stewart's dirt track car..... but who ever was driving the car seems to go out of his way to hit and kill Keven Ward Jr.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5665445.html

Shocking video no matter who was the driver... this is being investigated by the local sheriffs dept.

An accident in the corner occurs and keven Ward Jr gets out of his car and points down Stewart as to the cause of his crash.... Track is dark so who knows if Stewart ever saw Ward.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...race-has-died/
    I don't know how one can watch that little bit of video and come up with the conclusion in bold.

What I do know is that the driver of the car that wrecked intentionally climbed out of a stopped car while a race was underway and chose to walk onto the course while a car race was underway. It was very, very poor judgement and an unforunate inability to control temper and adrenoline. IT cost him his life. Maybe it can be chalked up to youth and inexperience crowding one's wisdom.

There would have been ample time for him to confront Stewart later, after he and his car were safely off the course.

It is a terrible tragedy. Hopefully all racecar drivers can learn something from it.

I'd imagine Tony Stewart will be permanently affected and obviously the killed driver's family and loved ones are permanently hurt.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Another driver who was there said Stewart hit him intentionally, then says it wasn't intentional... huh... as this is on local sports talk.. ... My take on it was from listening to the sound... instead of braking he hit the gas... Only Stewart knows the intent... lets hope he was trying to avoid Ward. Maybe he was just trying to kick dirt on him, and Ward got sucked under the rear wheel... It's one of those racing fights that eventually was going to go bad.

Very sad day for racing and the family of this young driver.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 08-10-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Another driver who was there said Stewart hit him intentionally, then says it wasn't intentional... huh... as this is on local sports talk.. ... My take on it was from listening to the sound... instead of braking he hit the gas... Only Stewart knows the intent... lets hope he was trying to avoid Ward. Maybe he was just trying to kick dirt on him, and Ward got sucked under the rear wheel... It's one of those racing fights that eventually was going to go bad.

Very sad day for racing and the family of this young driver.
    They guy was on his right side on a banked dirt track left turn. Hitting the brakes would have made the rear of the car slide to the right (his wheel are already turned left) and into the person. He turned right and gassed it to slide his rear end to the left and away from the guy. This is not a street, and certainly not a street car. Sprint cars have one gear and are very hard to control at slow speed. Its dark, the guy is wearing black in the exact color scheme of his car which is the background Stewart would have seen. To think any race driver would intentionally hit a person at 30MPH is ludicrous. The driver had no business on the track running towards cars is coming around a corner in a low visibility situation.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    They guy was on his right side on a banked dirt track left turn. Hitting the brakes would have made the rear of the car slide to the right (his wheel are already turned left) and into the person. He turned right and gassed it to slide his rear end to the left and away from the guy. This is not a street, and certainly not a street car. Sprint cars have one gear and are very hard to control at slow speed. Its dark, the guy is wearing black in the exact color scheme of his car which is the background Stewart would have seen. To think any race driver would intentionally hit a person at 30MPH is ludicrous. The driver had no business on the track running towards cars is coming around a corner in a low visibility situation.
    The more I watch and listen .... I think Tony Stewart was just trying to dust him off, for yelling and screaming at him... and a terrible accident happened.

I'd buy your conclusion if not for the Blue car that successfully slid down the track to avoid Ward... Stewart will have to live with this terrible event, he took out the kids car first off... crashing him, then killed him. Accidental? Heat of the moment... and you can't say Ward was right for walking on a track where cars are still going by.

Just a terrible tragedy that could have been avoided. Tony Stewart did not have to wreck the kid, as that certainly looked to be what happened. The running him over under his rear wheel only Tony Stewart knows what he meant to do.

two immature guys, one had an excuse because he didnt know any better because of his youth, the other knew better and has no excuse,it cost one his life and will probably cost the other his livelyhood...NASCAR is all about sponsorship and even thought Smoke may get cleared of any wrongdoing, the damage he did to his corporate image and brand will cost him dearly along with his team
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I'd buy your conclusion if not for the Blue car that successfully slid down the track to avoid Ward...
    The blue car was much further away from Ward so he could turn left without the risk of his rear and kicking right and hitting him. Ward was very close to Stewart's car.

The key evidence might be the footage about 30-50 yards to the right of that video. Was Stewart just taking that higher line around the whole track or did he in fact move up there to scare/intimidate/do something childish and made a huge mis-judgement? That would be a big difference maker to me.

Unless your car is on fire you do not get out of it while other cars are racing w/no flag to slow or stop. Further you do not walk into the face of the oncoming traffic. Ward paid for his mistake w/his life.

I stopped watching racing every week after the death of "3" ... Dale Earnhardt.. to this day it seems improbable that he died from that small crash because so many walk away from huge fiery crashes...

They all know the risk, as do the fans sitting in the stands who sometimes get hit and killed by flying debris... perhaps that is the draw, the living on the edge... I lost my interest after "3" died and all the safety measures were implemented. To me the NASCAR is like watching paint dry.. I can see the draw the little dirt track cars have, and why Tony Stewart was driving there. It looks like the races of old... too bad this event last night turned out so wrong.