The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Petition to Ban Dogs in Vehicles

Default Petition to Ban Dogs in Vehicles

I just received an email from PetPlan insurance, who insures one of my dogs, describing a petition drive they are starting (Driven to Bark) that would ban animals from being left unattended in vehicles. I am sure their hearts are in the right place, but this could have bad implications for all dog sport people. I plan on writing PetPlan about the problems with this petition. Please read this and contact them. I know a lot of RTF members have their dog insurance through PetPlan. Their feedback could be especially meaningful.
    Shirley Christian
    Fort Collins, CO
    shirley.christian79@gmail.com

Hmm a way for an insurance company to get out of heat stress related claims? Some people know how to handle such things, some people are idiots. Idiots will always do as they have done, regulations only hurt those who pay attention to such regulations and are not idiots, Non-idiots would not leave a dog to die in a hot car. My 4 cents I hope your letter has an effect
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-10-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Hmm a way for an insurance company to get out of heat stress related claims? Some people know how to handle such things, some people are idiots. Idiots will always do as they have done, regulations only hurt those who pay attention to such regulations and are not idiots, Non-idiots would not leave a dog to die in a hot car. My 4 cents I hope your letter has an effect
    Agreed. You can pass all the laws you want but you cannot legislate morality nor common sense.

They say only in extreme/dangerous temperatures, but without specifying specifically the actual temperature seems like enforcement would be a nightmare. Plus it depends on the dog, it's condition, the situation, etc. For example, sled dogs up here stay outside regardless of how cold it gets and are often transported via vehicle. I don't think they truly understand the implications of making a blanket law like this for the nation. Thanks for the heads up truffle, sending them my opinion.

More big brother BS.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by catfish_joe View Post
    They say only in extreme/dangerous temperatures, but without specifying specifically the actual temperature seems like enforcement would be a nightmare. Plus it depends on the dog, it's condition, the situation, etc. For example, sled dogs up here stay outside regardless of how cold it gets and are often transported via vehicle. I don't think they truly understand the implications of making a blanket law like this for the nation. Thanks for the heads up truffle, sending them my opinion.
    Half the time they make laws (that goes for anything-bit POTUS here) the consequences are never considered. Blatant disregard for the general population and what we all do! IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

So I guess Romney was right after all?
    image.jpg

I know... Take it to Potus��
    Bill Davis

I went to the link in the original post and it wasn't clear to me where to put a comment about this petition drive. When you click on the email place, it sorta asks what your policy number is, suggesting the email isn't for non-members. (Which is ironic because just yesterday hubby and I were talking about getting insurance on two of our dogs.)

Legislation of this type could be a serious problem for sporting dogs of all kinds. Was just at a hunt test last weekend. Hot, sunny, bit of a breeze thank goodness, but it was 96 degrees. Our dogs were in crates in the truck, side and rear windows up, fans on, aluminet shade draped over the entire topper, and fans running. Guess what, 96 degrees in there, too. They had plenty of water and no dogs in any of the rigs there seemed distressed, but we all would probably have violated even current legislation about dogs in cars when it's over 80 degrees, which is the law in my town. Of course a dog in a vehicle with the windows cracked would have been in serious trouble in the same situation, but most laws are generalizations and don't take into account the lengths which we go to to make sure the crated dogs are comfortable.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ