The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City police department clears officer who shot dog

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Wayne-

If you'll post the address of this brief, we can all go there to read it. I'll also pass it by an attorney, actually 2, that specialize in "dog law" with which I have an acquaintance.

He' s going to have a hard time getting by the legal concept of the "police powers" of the municipality. I'd love to read it.
    http://www.salcidolawfirm.com/geist-memo.pdf

This is what you are up against... The Blue Wall ...

I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

[QUOTE=HPL;1247328]
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_dog_guy View Post

If you didn't give them a heads up about the pack of dogs, I'd say that you are pretty lucky that you didn't come home to a tragedy.
    True enough. Its hard to think straight when its all happening that fast. And, truth be told, I may have warned them;I don't remember and I'd have to ask them. And those dogs are so unlikely to have been aggressive, anyhow. Like I said, I'm sure they misinterpreted the dogs behavior, based in part on the dogs in question and in part on the behavior of the deputies and the dogs when they met up in the house. But you're right, it might not have been my smartest moment.
    Chuck

See post 31. Mungundog was able to post the link to the legal brief by Sean's attorney. Pls read.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    This is what you are up against... The Blue Wall ...

He is creepy.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

OK... so I did talk to the public info officer for our PD. First, he was very nice. Second, he knew all about the SLC incident. Third, he said our PD had killed 3 dogs in the last 10 years that he could think of, and he was basing it on the reviews of use-of-firearms investigations. (That seems to be a very low number for an area encompassing a quarter million people...)

Specifically he talked about the importance of home owners with burglar alarms who should have a phone number with neighbors, or a record somewhere of how the police can reach a owners before entry.

And he talked about exigency... i.e., if the house were burning down and they thought I was in it they would crash the door and go in. Otherwise, without an urgent threat to life, they always (AND HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS FOR OUR TOWN) call the animal control officers if they expect or hear a dog in the home and time is not an issue.

So, made me feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    He is creepy.
    At first I did not know whether to laugh, cry, be scared, that St. Lake City has this man a Police Chief. It's like they have Barney Fife in charge. Seriously, do you want this man to have bullets in his gun?

You can tell right off he is not a dog lover, that fur on his uniform, would throw him into a hissy fit. That he must have stepped in dog shi* and ruined a good pair of shoes....

All across America PD are maned by similar individuals who hate dogs.... we give them guns and they shoot our dogs... Who is to blame? We are. We put them on the job.

If any citizen of SLC views this You Tube video and does not petition for him to be removed as Police Chief, you only have yourself to be blame.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Too funny... this same SLC Police Chief runs a summit for TASER....

Who knows better then the Chief?

http://www.taser.com/videos/evidence...er-tech-summit

[QUOTE=HPL;1247328]
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_dog_guy View Post

If you didn't give them a heads up about the pack of dogs, I'd say that you are pretty lucky that you didn't come home to a tragedy.
    Like many of you, I occasionally leave my 2-3 Golden's loose in my fenced in yard. I usually give people (plumber, etc) a heads up to make sure they lock the gate behind them when they leave, and tell them they might be in danger of being licked, but the dogs are otherwise quite friendly. It never occurred to me until I read this and the other thread that my dogs could be in danger of being shot.

As I said in the "other" thread..................................there are a certain amount of folks in appointed and elected offices that want US, "We The People" to fear the police and what they legally can do and ILLEGALLY CAN DO!!

And get away with it with impunity!!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Equal Opportunity Bigot