The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 71

Thread: Salt Lake City police department clears officer who shot dog

  1. #41
    Senior Member 480/277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Conn
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dorkweed View Post
    As I said in the "other" thread..................................there are a certain amount of folks in appointed and elected offices that want US, "We The People" to fear the police and what they legally can do and ILLEGALLY CAN DO!!

    And get away with it with impunity!!!
    Rest assured they take their internal investigations very seriously ....
    Further they are totally impartial .

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    All across America PD are maned by similar individuals who hate dogs.... we give them guns and they shoot our dogs... Who is to blame? We are. We put them on the job.

    I disagree with the proposition that police officers hate dogs.

    I would bet that the % of police officers who own dogs is identical to the % of dog owners in the general population. Add to that, the K9 members of the force are held in high regard.

    Let's stay fact based. The fact is there is a big problem in SLC and the chief is part of it.

  3. #43
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    All across America PD are maned by similar individuals who hate dogs.... we give them guns and they shoot our dogs... Who is to blame? We are. We put them on the job.

    I disagree with the proposition that police officers hate dogs.

    I would bet that the % of police officers who own dogs is identical to the % of dog owners in the general population. Add to that, the K9 members of the force are held in high regard.

    Let's stay fact based. The fact is there is a big problem in SLC and the chief is part of it.
    I agree with you in that I believe the percentage of dog owners and policemen with good dog sense probably mirrors the general population. That said though they don't "hate" dogs, there are a good percentage of people who don't understand dogs, some fear dogs and many really don't get how many of us love our dogs as family members. I think their are a lot of people, some police included, that would look at the loss of a dog the same as loosing a piece of property, something to upset about, but not to get all carried away over. That's where police departments need to be educated. I think there are many dog lovers that in the heat of the moment would put their own life at risk in order to protect their dog, including confronting an armed law officer.

    John

  4. #44
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I agree with you in that I believe the percentage of dog owners and policemen with good dog sense probably mirrors the general population. That said though they don't "hate" dogs, there are a good percentage of people who don't understand dogs, some fear dogs and many really don't get how many of us love our dogs as family members. I think their are a lot of people, some police included, that would look at the loss of a dog the same as loosing a piece of property, something to upset about, but not to get all carried away over. That's where police departments need to be educated. I think there are many dog lovers that in the heat of the moment would put their own life at risk in order to protect their dog, including confronting an armed law officer.

    John
    By the way people on this forum talk about trading, selling, or getting rid of dogs that can't cut it in the games, I suspect that there are at least some even here who feel that way.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  5. #45
    Senior Member dorkweed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Over By The Dental Floss
    Posts
    134

    Default

    [QUOTE=480/277;1247556
    Further they are totally impartial .[/QUOTE]



    Who You Crappin'????
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    Equal Opportunity Bigot

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    By the way people on this forum talk about trading, selling, or getting rid of dogs that can't cut it in the games, I suspect that there are at least some even here who feel that way.
    For many on this forum - it is about the competition - it costs no more to feed & care for a very talented dog than it does for some
    what would be considered a good dog - there is nothing wrong with placing a dog where it will be more in tune with what the folks
    who now care for it do -
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  7. #47
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    For many on this forum - it is about the competition - it costs no more to feed & care for a very talented dog than it does for some
    what would be considered a good dog - there is nothing wrong with placing a dog where it will be more in tune with what the folks
    who now care for it do
    -

    No, but one neither sells nor gives away a family member, which is what the dogs are for some of us, for others, they are a commodity, a mind set I recognize, but don't really understand.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  8. #48
    Senior Member mostlygold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    John, I would fall into the category of a person who would not hesitate to confront even armed police to protect my dogs. I stepped between my dog and the heavy walking stick that was swung at his head. I was damn lucky my arm was only slightly broken. My dog would have had his head caved in. All because someone panicked when the two dogs met and mine was standing over the other one on the ground. No fighting, no teeth, just a mild dominance scuffle. Only one hurt was me. I can't say on this forum what my reaction would have been to that situation. Bad police may criminals out of honest people.

    Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

    We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Charleston Tn.
    Posts
    57

    Default

    I agree with Mark, I have been a police officer for 30 years, never shot a dog, never had too, I dont know what the officers line of thinking was. I own two labs and could not imagine how I would fill if someone shot one of my dogs. I was once a SWAT team member and had several encounters with viscous dogs. My experience is with a swat team doing a search warrant on house with a viscous dog, the dog would be over whelmed with an entire swat team coming at him, it was almost comical watching these big dogs become harmless. I have sprayed a few dogs with peppper spray and it always did the trick. I have been been biten once when a dog caught me by surprise. Mark is correct in what he is saying, it is easy to sit behind a computer and play arm chair quarterback. No one can positvley say what the officer was feeling. Not every one is a dog owner and some people are fearfull of dogs. What we do know is the officer was doing his job, looking for a missing child. Should he have used deadly force, I dont no. I do not know any fellow police officers that wants to shoot a dog. Some people are trying imply that is what police officer aspire to do. I assure you that the Officer in question wishes this would have never happen. Law suites, internal affairs investigation, media and living with fact of what he felt he had to do. I promise you, if he works for a department anything like the one I work for, he actions have be scrtunized many times from within the department. How do you prevent this from happening , honestly I dont think you can.
    Last edited by mmoe; 08-14-2014 at 08:00 AM.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    218

    Default

    There ya go. He was just doing his job. Being a law abiding citizen is of no help, or consequence when you meet a law officer on duty- everyone in his line of work will cover for him and justify his actions. Because he was at work.

    In all these threads the LEOs and their sympathizers keep excusing this officer talking about the task he was performing and the conditions in which he was performing. Useful. Yes, but only when the third yardstick "standards" is applied.


    Task- search for missing child
    Conditions- given a permissive neighborhood setting, extensive communications gear with which to remain in contact with higher as situations develop, a highly motivated
    buddy team
    Standards- in an efficient manner that doesn't cause collateral damage, injury or property loss or other Civil rights violations.


    Task, conditions, standards. Period. Until you apply and uphold a standard, cops will feel tha they can perform their tasks, despite favorable conditions, in whatever manner they see fit, and call it "doing my job"
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 08-14-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •