The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field trial dog and hunting dog....?

Default Field trial dog and hunting dog....?

Just kinda of curious of how many of you guys that run field trials also hunt your dogs come fall, whether it's upland or watertfowl
    Locked and Loaded Axel

Loran Marmes IV

been hunting since '74....gone pheasant hunting in Nebraska, shot lots of teal and ducks in CenTex..and now ducks and geese in Idaho...planning a trip to NoDak in October for pheasant/ducks/geese....FT were originally just something to do in the spring and summer for us...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Hunting waterfowl since 1977. Hunting for the dogs is like R&R . NO collars of any kind. Each of them has been my total partner.

We have had 3 FTCH . Out of the 3, one was an excellent duck/pheasant dog. The other 2 were too amped up in the blind. If you shot, they wanted to retrieve. They were to accustomed to hearing a shot & being sent to retrieve. We also have had several HRCH dogs that we primarily used for hunting. Hunt Test games are fun & make a better hunting dog.
    2 of the FTCH were also HRCH titled. A dual purpose dog is a great companion. We have had a lot of enjoyment from our Labs over the years. At 75, I still look forward to duck season & getting out to the marsh with sons, grandson & pups.

I attempt to run field trials ,until hunting season, then its all about the hunt for us (which is what brought us here) . IMO it doesnt matter what venue you choose to play in ,some dogs are to high geared to have the patience in hunting situations. I dont think I've seen a hunt test that is even close to the situations we hunt in.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Have had yellows since the early 70's and have hunted them all, got sucked into the F/T - H/T some 20 years ago. Just something to do until fall comes around and we love being with our training group. Dogs and friends make the world go around! Geese, ducks, grouse, timberdoodles, if its got feathers - - - - - - , need I say more!
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

Take FC Sorol Green River's Indian Scout hunting? What? Never! Well, maybe a pheasant or two. And now that I think about it, some ducks every now and again. Hmmmm, well, okay, I guess i do.
    Chuck

my fall training schedule includes 3 days of hunting then blinds on thursdays trial on friday sat sun. Sometimes it works.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

FC AFC Roux MH was just that, truly a master hunter. Hunting was his primary occupation and none ever did it better, IMO.
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Road to Hurricane "Roadie" (Knucklehead Puppy)
    Bayou Magic's Tough as a Boot "Boot" (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth