The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Bouncing back from Giardia & Coccida...

Default Bouncing back from Giardia & Coccida...

We brought home our 7 week old YLF in the middle of June, everything was good. About two weeks later the breeder sent me an email saying two of the pups had tested positive for Giardia and Coccida, one wasnt showing symptoms. I wasnt concered because the previous week I had a routine stool sample examined by the Vet and everything was normal. About four weeks later at 12 weeks old I took her back for routine exam and another stool sample exam. This one came back postive for Giardia and Coccida, so we get a script for Albon and Metronizazole(sp?). We finally finish the script and now it seems she cant pass anything but brown water. The vet put us on boiled chicken and white rice diet and things have firmed up a bit but far from solid. We are feedign small meals 3-4 times a day of rice and chicken. She looks skinny to me but the vet doesnt need to see her for another fecal exam until 3 weeks after the script finishes. I should mention that her attitude/behavior hasnt changed a bit, stilll eating and drinking normally and energy level has been the same. Is there anything I can do/give to add a little weight without upsetting her stomach? Much appreciated
    Last edited by whistle_wings; 08-11-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Try adding a probiotic. Fortiflora for example, or even plain fat free yogurt for that matter. Antibiotics do not discriminate against the bad (giardia and coccidia) and the good gut flora bacteria. Adding the probiotic replaces what was killed off through the antibiotics until your pup can regenerate them on her own. Good luck with the pup.

Where in Virginia are you from?
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Time for another DVM visit and fecal analysis. If coccidiosis is still an issue ask about treating with Ponazuril, the most effective treatment and only requires 2 or 3 doses.

Whistle - You may not know being that your new on the forum, but EdA is doctor Ed, a DVM. You should take his advise as gospel.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Whistle - You may not know being that your new on the forum, but EdA is doctor Ed, a DVM. You should take his advise as gospel.
    I will second that !

Marty
    Marty & Lesa
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-564-3560
    www.ramblinmaxx.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Time for another DVM visit and fecal analysis. If coccidiosis is still an issue ask about treating with Ponazuril, the most effective treatment and only requires 2 or 3 doses.

That is what my vet gave me for my pup and his two sisters when I brought them home 2years ago. One of the girls had it real bad, the other two were treated as well. You could see the results working the following day after administration.

Freezeland - I'm in Hampton roads down at the beach

Update

Dropped a sample off at the vet this morining, things have been hardening up with the stools. Introduce kibble back into the meals. Staying hopeful that the results come back in our favor today

Also, fenbedazole is the treatment of choice of giardia. Not metronidzole.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Ditto the Ponazuril suggestion for coccidia. Albon is old school and only stops reproduction of the organism, it does not kill it. I stopped using it eons ago.

Metronidazole can still be effective for giardia, but not necessarily in all cases. I do know someone who requires 7 days of Fenbendazole every time she has giardia come through as metronidazole won't touch it.

Good luck!

Yep..panacur-C ...

but in the long run you need to get good flora into the gut after treatment.. try PB8 found in the cold section of Whole Foods Vitamin Isle..

Fromm pet food, the new Lamb and Lentil, has a new good flora added for treatment after antibiotics...

Pediococcus acidilactici

http://frommfamily.com/products/four...-lentil-recipe

Lamb is a great choice for pups having issues with stool as it for some strange reason is great for sensitive tummies.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith