The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

Default RIP Robin Williams

Robin Williams, famous for his roles in “Good Will Hunting,” “Aladdin,” “Mrs. Doubtfire” and “Good Morning, Vietnam” is dead at 63.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/08/11/ro...#ixzz3A8GmOA1b

I sure am feeling old as I see these actors/entertainers pass. I can remember them when they were in their prime. I can remember Mork and Mindy, and would still watch "Good Morning, Vietnam" again. Williams continued to entertain troops in the more recent conflicts as well.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

A gal on Facebook worked on a film with Williams, and had this to say
    all I can think about is that Robin is the only person who ever greeted Stamp by sniffing his butt. That says a lot about a man's character, and from that moment on, Stamp adored him...
    SO Robin Williams!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

So sad. Enjoyed so much that he did.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Very sad, and so disturbing these wonderful entertainers suffer from drug abuse and the mental depression that comes with it.. While we appreciate their talent, they are hurting so much inside.

Godspeed Robin Williams... you were loved.
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

I've never understood why so many get so worked up over someone that makes millions to pretend they are someone else and they've never met. Then when they OD its such a sad thing ,but if a common man gets wrapped up in drugs he's labeled as a no good POS.
    At anytime in his life this guy had the $$ to get the best help possible ,but veterans die waiting on treatment from injuries caused from trying to protect their family ,my family and your family and that's just swept under the carpet by the masses.

That should give you some perspective as to what is truly wrong in the country.

Pro athletes / Hollywood actors .....who cares ,if they like to entertain people so much they should be doing it for minimum wage.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    I've never understood why so many get so worked up over someone that makes millions to pretend they are someone else and they've never met. Then when they OD its such a sad thing ,but if a common man gets wrapped up in drugs he's labeled as a no good POS.
    At anytime in his life this guy had the $$ to get the best help possible ,but veterans die waiting on treatment from injuries caused from trying to protect their family ,my family and your family and that's just swept under the carpet by the masses.

Pro athletes / Hollywood actors .....who cares ,if they like to entertain people so much they should be doing it for minimum wage.
    On a certain level you are right, but those who can perform gain fame and $$$ because they are unique individuals.. Robin Williams was upfront about his struggles, did seek treatment, and in the end took his own life.

You can't take away the joy he gave millions with his performances, we react to the death because we feel loss.

The mess with the VA system is something every American should be angered by. The fish rots from the head down... We have leadership that has never served and don't know or understand the situation our Vets face on coming home from war.

The truth of what you said, still does not take away the sadness of a man so talented and loved that he still took his own life.
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

I don't tend to feel a very strong sense of loss when folks I don't really know die. I did like some of Williams' works, found others painful to watch. I think I would have found him to be tiring to be around in person if he was anything like his persona on talk shows. There are celebrities I think I could enjoy spending time with, but I don't think I suffer from the culture of celebrity.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Shawn, I think that part of it is that some celebrities perform in vehicles that touch our hearts deeply. Dead Poets Society was a very touching work, showing Williams "other" side of his personality. Similar with Good Will Hunting and Good Morning Vietnam. Williams also gave generously to St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

Perhaps it also strikes us that such an individual, capable of making others laugh and feel deep emotions (as in some of his serious movies), could not find peace or joy in his own soul, and no amount of celebrity or money could help him do that. And it makes each of us take a closer look at our own lives. We do not know the stories of many others who have the same struggles, but with celebrities we have had the opportunity to follow their struggles.

If we knew the stories of the other individuals' lives who faced these same struggles, I think we would be as troubled by those deaths. The govt bureaucracy knew this, and that's why they went to great lengths to NOT let us know about the stories of the veterans who were left to die waiting for help. If those facts and stories had been revealed, I can imagine that we would have been as outraged then as we are now.

Unfortunately, in the VA case, it seems that one person lost his job (but suffered no other significant penalty). The actual perpetrators, so far as I can see, continue in their positions! and the ponderous bureaucracy continues to stonewall the situation. Many of those people are NOT union workers. They should also have been fired, and quickly! Don't even union workers have some responsibility if they are complicit in stuff like this? And the whistle-blowers who were maligned and harassed should be given medals and rewards.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Lot's of folks can relate to this because they either know someone or may be related to someone with mental health issues. I have never had any sympathy for those who chose to take their own lives. Or attempt to take their lives. I always looked at it as "a quitters way out".

However, when mental illness strikes close to you and you are forced to take the time to actually learn a little more about it... Ones perspective may change. Mine has.
    Bill Davis

I've never understood why so many get so worked up over someone that makes millions to pretend they are someone else and they've never met. .
    I am somewhat that way too...the exception are when people lose a dog...or when people lose one of their parents/siblings

Now if I had met the person that's a whole 'nuther ballgame
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"