The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RIP Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Lot's of folks can relate to this because they either know someone or may be related to someone with mental health issues. I have never had any sympathy for those who chose to take their own lives. Or attempt to take their lives. I always looked at it as "a quitters way out".

However, when mental illness strikes close to you and you are forced to take the time to actually learn a little more about it... Ones perspective may change. Mine has.
    Good post. I watched Bobin on many talk shows over the years. I saw his pain increase over the years. I had no idea what all his troubles were but you could see that he had them. I don't think that I could have enjoyed being around him in real life. It is not any fun to be around people in pain ( makes no difference where the pain is ). I'd be sad for anyone in pain when I saw it.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Its seems when someone famous dies the world stops turning as if everyone personally knew them . What about all the others in the country that died on the same day ? My point is that society IMO has things backwards when they hold actors / pro sports stars on a higher level than the common people that truly due keep the world spinning each day. Like parents that can hide the fear in their eyes when they have a child with cancer or the family that busts their a$$ each and evey week to just make ends meet but are truly thankful to what they have or when your 17 year old child crimes to you and wants to join the military to fight for a country so backwards and they proudly support him . I could list 100's more examples like this.
    I guess I'm different because I've never seen an artist and thought to myself " whoa ,he has talent " instead the 1st thing in my mind is " he was just to lazy to get a real job"

I have no sympathy for anyone that takes the easy way out . I see that as being complete greed and not caring about what you put the people that care for you through.
    I think I might have been born a couple generations late.
    I do agree with your statement Bon.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Shawn, may I ask your age?
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Its seems when someone famous dies the world stops turning as if everyone personally knew them . What about all the others in the country that died on the same day ? My point is that society IMO has things backwards when they hold actors / pro sports stars on a higher level than the common people that truly due keep the world spinning each day. Like parents that can hide the fear in their eyes when they have a child with cancer or the family that busts their a$$ each and evey week to just make ends meet but are truly thankful to what they have or when your 17 year old child crimes to you and wants to join the military to fight for a country so backwards and they proudly support him . I could list 100's more examples like this.
    I guess I'm different because I've never seen an artist and thought to myself " whoa ,he has talent " instead the 1st thing in my mind is " he was just to lazy to get a real job"

I have no sympathy for anyone that takes the easy way out . I see that as being complete greed and not caring about what you put the people that care for you through.
    I think I might have been born a couple generations late.
    I do agree with your statement Bon.
    There was nothing "EASY" going on that led Williams to this end.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    There was nothing "EASY" going on that led Williams to this end.
    Where's that "Like" button..........
    --Greta Ode

38 is my age.

RK ,suicide is the easy fix all ,just 1 mans opinion. So should I feel sympathetic for him because he was weak minded ? The guy had the world at his finger tips and still could not find happiness.
    If Charlie Sheen went on a killing rampage and killed most of Hollywood would you have sympathy for him ? Because remember " he suffers from mental/ drug problems as well.

I'm a realist and if someone cops out .....well ,see you on the other side.
    I've never found any reality in the people on the inside of a TV ....not even as a kid.
    When I seen the mass out pouring of people so upset with his death ,I shrugged my shoulders and went back to the reality of watching my son practice football.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

You should have sympathy for him because he suffered from mental illness. Depression is real and people that suffer from it don't choose this affliction. People with depression are not necessarily weak minded as you stated. The comparison to Charlie Sheen is "apples to oranges". Probably the best thing you could do is not comment on this issue at all since it's obvious you don't know much about it. On a side note, I do agree with you that his death while tragic is no more or less important than the next guy.

Shawn, in spite of Williams' demons, another reason many mourn his death is that, while Charlie Sheen rarely shows any kindness, Williams was a kind person and cared about others, and actually got personally involved. He had been part of USO tours for over a decade, and also was a supporter of St. Judge's Children's Hospital. Williams was also friends with Christopher Reeve (Superman), and when Christopher became paralyzed due to his spine injury, Williams gave both personal and financial support to Reeve. Williams didn't just make people laugh. He made people laugh when it was most difficult for them to laugh, when they were in in pain and lonely ... and he went to them to do so.

(I can recall reading a book, years ago, by a Col. who served in Nam. I remember that he said the troops had little use for the politicians that came to the war zone, but the troops loved the entertainers, who came over for them. They went out into the dirt and muck with the troops; sometimes their audiences were very small, but they still put on their shows, and lifted morale incredibly.)

Most of the Hollywood types are very shallow, but this man reached out to others in meaningful, personal ways. Every human being like that is a loss to the rest of us. This one just happened to be a celebrity.

I stumbled across a video on YouTube ... and discovered there was actually an Adrian Kronauer (the person Williams portrayed in Good Morning Vietnam). Kronauer, today, works to help families of MIAs from all wars.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Thank you for answering, Shawn.
    --Greta Ode

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    38 is my age.

RK ,suicide is the easy fix all ,just 1 mans opinion. So should I feel sympathetic for him because he was weak minded ? The guy had the world at his finger tips and still could not find happiness.
    If Charlie Sheen went on a killing rampage and killed most of Hollywood would you have sympathy for him ? Because remember " he suffers from mental/ drug problems as well.

I'm a realist and if someone cops out .....well ,see you on the other side.
    I've never found any reality in the people on the inside of a TV ....not even as a kid.
    When I seen the mass out pouring of people so upset with his death ,I shrugged my shoulders and went back to the reality of watching my son practice football.

Well, I've never met or seen you, but I am assuming that you are completely ripped with no excess body fat, have never over-indulged in alcohol, don't smoke or dip, don't drink coffee, never use your phone while driving, and only indulge in sex for purposes of procreation. If that doesn't describe you perfectly, you have, from time to time, exhibited some weakness of will.

I know several people who committed suicide, including at least two who appeared to be in enviable positions in their lives. One had recently discovered that he had a brain tumor, so we will never know if it was despair or if the tumor affected his behavior. Having never reached the point of committing suicide in my life (I'm still here) I have to think that suicide is only the easy way out in one respect, when people take that step it is because going on has simply become so hard (and I have to think that things must be truly unbearable) that killing themselves seems the rational choice. Psychic pain can be every bit as unendurable as physical pain.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com