The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Glaucoma experience?

Default Glaucoma experience?

Winston (Jack Russell) is having an eye removed Thursday. The drops are not controlling his pressure, which has been 62-37-52 on three tests. The eye is blind. The optho doc thought it was caused by trauma as opposed to genetics, which I think is better for his remaining, good eye (normal pressures and appearance on exam). Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have had 2 dogs go blind from glaucoma, both from hereditary uveitis. Not certain what trauma, other than severe blow to orbit that would cause swelling that blocks fluid, that would cause this. Most glaucoma is caused by inflammation and it is usually uveitis or cataracts. Did yr optho vet say what the trauma was?

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I had a dog develop glaucoma from an inflammation of the iris. Tried for a long while to save the eye even though she was blind there but once removed she became a pup again. So, no heredity or trauma but painful and that pup lived happily to about 14 years.
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

Mostlygold, he came in one morning incredibly sore and in considerable pain (muscular, in his back). His eye was a bit cloudy, and the eyeball white part was dark (it is white again now). He is an incredibly active dog, and lacks common sense. The optho vet felt that because of the sudden onset, incredibly high pressure almost immediately (she said he was likely blind about an hour after he came inside) and the appearance of his eye-pupil fixed but off center-that it was more likely that he sustained some type of blow to his eye. I figure he fell in the rocks, which are slick from seaweed. There were no usual signs of glaucoma other than the high pressure, and his other eye is completely normal in every way. Did medication control the pressure for your dogs?

Good to know, Oz1, thanks.
    Last edited by pupaloo; 08-13-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Medication only helped for a while, then it could not control the pressures. Both dogs had eyes enucleated which took care of the pain and they felt much better. We recently had a dog come into the ER practice I work at that was hit just above the right eye with golf club. Poor owner was swinging at golf ball when the dog decided to try and grab it off the tee. Trauma caused swelling and instant pressure build up., dog was blind in that eye by the time it got to us and we enucleated the eye that day. Other than mild bruising around the site, dog was fine the next day. I have seen this from dogs running into things, from blows to the head, deliberate or accident and from dog fights. Hope your pup is feeling better.

Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.