The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Lab Puppy Around Stubborn 5 Year Old Lab

Default Training Lab Puppy Around Stubborn 5 Year Old Lab

I am picking up a new lab puppy from the airport on Thursday and had a question. I have a 5 year old lab that knows basic obedience, but can still be very stubborn. Is there anything I need to do to ensure it doesn't rub off on the new puppy? I plan on hitting it hard with this puppy through everything. Basic obedience, hunting...etc. Thank you for the help.

If they get a chance to talk to one another you're in trouble
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Depends is your lab stubborn because you are not providing proper leadership?
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Puppies usually pester adult dogs unmercifully. Before the age of four months, puppies may not recognize subtle body postures from adult dogs signaling that they've had enough. Well-socialized adult dogs with good temperaments may set limits with puppies with a warning growl or snarl. These behaviors are normal and should be allowed.

When training the pup keep the older dog in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Thats the fact. Your puppy will be as obedient as you train him to be.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I'm at fault for his behavior. I deployed to the middle east while he was around a year old and ever since, he has suffered from separation anxiety when I leave. I feel he has had other small issues, but we have recently worked through those. Again that was my fault, and I could have been a better leader from the get go. I should have dedicated much more time. Don't get me wrong, he is a good dog I just didn't do the best at raising him and probably purchased him at the wrong point in my life.

As for the new puppy(trying to do everything right this time), I am going work as much as I need to, to achieve my desired results. These results being a well obedient dog, who can go hunting with me and retrieve with also the possibility of field trials.

I will not be training the puppy around the adult.
    Last edited by GeoffP; 08-12-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Your dog is resilient and you can teach an old dog new tricks. If you are continuing to have the same problems it is likely because you are doing the same things you were doing when your dog was young. It then is likely your new dog will behave the same way also.

I would suggest you read up on some dog psychology and pack leadership. You do not need to worry about the older dog rubbing off on your pup.

I would suggest books by Robert Milner and Bill Tarrant. Not so much for the training technique, but to understand how to treat the dogs otherwise. There are a ton of other training books outside the hunting training realm also.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pauline_eisenman View Post
    Puppies usually pester adult dogs unmercifully. Before the age of four months, puppies may not recognize subtle body postures from adult dogs signaling that they've had enough. Well-socialized adult dogs with good temperaments may set limits with puppies with a warning growl or snarl. These behaviors are normal and should be allowed.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
    I'm at fault for his behavior. I deployed to the middle east while he was around a year old and ever since, he has suffered from separation anxiety when I leave. I feel he has had other small issues, but we have recently worked through those. Again that was my fault, and I could have been a better leader from the get go. I should have dedicated much more time. Don't get me wrong, he is a good dog I just didn't do the best at raising him and probably purchased him at the wrong point in my life.

As for the new puppy(trying to do everything right this time), I am going work as much as I need to, to achieve my desired results. These results being a well obedient dog, who can go hunting with me and retrieve with also the possibility of field trials.

I will not be training the puppy around the adult.
    Geoff, I feel you have missed the point completely. Training a dog is not a 20 minute task that you share each day. Training a dog is a 24 hour, 7 day a week task. Training and guidance happens all the time and in every task of general life. Like teaching a young child to meet everyday challenges so as to become a competent, thinking, positive adult. Your pup will learn from you what you teach it in spite of your older dog if you just show him the way.
    Don