The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: proper travel crate size

Default proper travel crate size

After losing Maggie last spring, I'm finally getting a new puppy this month. She will be living in the house and housed in a 42" crate. I'll need a travel crate for my Ford Explorer, and am thinking of a 36" x 22" wire crate, as it is lighter and less expensive than a plastic one. Will this be an adequate size? She will prob. be small, as both the sire and dam are 50-55 lbs. She won't be living in it, just when we're traveling on the road (trips less than 2 hrs).

Smaller is better than to big. Keeps them from sloshing around in the crate when your in motion. My custom crates are from 17" to 19" wide, 22" tall and 33" deep. Dogs are 50 to 70 pounds. It does not take much space for a dog to curl up and lay down.
    Hope that helps.
    Don
    readytogo.jpg

I use a 36 in deep crate in my vehicle for both males and females.
    ​Laura

Can Ch UGRCH URO2 SHR Kelrobin Black Minx RA JH CD WC CGCA BN Can RN PCD CGN WC CD

Get one that has a partition that can decrease size of crate. Then take it out as dog gets bigger.
    Tom Dorroh

I think the standard rule of thumb is that the crate should be large enough so the dog can stand up and turn around in it.

While I use both wire and plastic crates at home, I always use the airline crates in my SUV. A wire crate will offer zero protection in case of a crash.

Some wire crates (depending on how they are made) can actually impale your dog in an accident. I use airline large crates in my vehicle but they sleep in XL at home.