The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Master Test sign up missed.

Corey,

No offense was meant when I said middle of the road meat dogs. I was trying to differentiate between the high end FT breedings vs BYB breedings, the latter of which those MH breedings are not. It was not intent as derogatory towards the dog. Fritz commented that those dogs aren't titled to gain investment back by breeding, when that does, in fact, happen.

Sue
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

The original intent of hunt tests was to give the amateur an opportunity to test their training/dog. Therefore, my suggestion is to make the Master National "owner handler". Pros can enter the weekend tests but not handle dogs in the Master National (unless they are the owner). This would decrease the weekend entries for those Pro trained dogs whose owners have no intention of spending the time to run the Master National.

So a pro would become co owner of all the dogs on their truck. Am owner handler?
    Tom Dorroh

When I think of the Master National, great dogs & great people come to mind. These individuals are the judges, chairs, hunt secretaries, marshals and shooters at our weekend tests. Many of them are key in the planning and logistics of the weekend hunt tests. When any discussion of limits occur, many people respond with "if I can't run then I won't work". As we discuss options, let us also look at the unforeseen ramifications. Many suggest distancing the Master National from the weekend tests with qualifiers, lifetime qualification, ect. If these Master National affiliated handlers no longer need to run weekend tests will they continue to work and plan the weekend events? No one seems willing to answer this question. Maybe I am simply on a lot of ignore lists.
    Mark Land

Why are we not pushing to increase capacity. Not all clubs can add more test , but some can. There are suggested to increase capacity that AKC has not acted upon. Lets start there and see what happens. Maybe we should start calling AKC to see if we can get some action. I do 99% of the training on my dogs and love the Master National. I like the idea at my age I can go up against the young guns. Most Pros do more than thier fair share ,only a few horse butts.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by skyy View Post
    I don't believe any of this is a AKC problem nor a Master National problem, " ITS A CLUB PROBLEM" brought on by the clubs themselves.
    Yes, those evil clubs who refuse to go out and purchase more land, build more ponds, etc. just to screw you over. Bwahahahahahaha.

Clubs do have a problem in terms limited resources. For some it is grounds, some it is workers and for some it is both.

Tightening judging standards may help as certainly fewer dogs would pass but it may not--under the current MN qualification system, those dogs would just keep running more HTs after where before they would stop when qualified. Personally, I do not see such an erosion of the standard. If anything, a MH pass is much tougher to come by than it was 20 years ago, but it may be different in other areas.

Tougher requirements on judges will only reduce the supply of qualified judges and make it tougher for clubs to put on HTs. Maybe good, maybe bad but it isn't going to increase capacity.

The limits are necessary for clubs that do not have the resources to run an unlimited number of MH dogs. Without them, some clubs would drop HTs all together.

A big part of the problem, in my eyes, is the arbitrary cutoff required by the AKC. Why do you have to split at 60 dogs if you could run 90 just as well with the grounds, workers and help you have? It is silly and if the AKC allowed clubs to determine when or if a split was necessary you would instantly get more capacity. Let the clubs decide whether or not to split and at what level. If they can't handle it, folks will learn to avoid that one, but arbitrary splits are silly.

Not requiring JH and SH tests would also increase capacity for MH tests. Let the clubs decide what they want to do. If they want double JH and SH, have them. If they prefer to skip those stakes to cater to more MH entries, let them do so.

I think if we let clubs decide what they can do best, instead of having things dictated by the AKC with no good reason, you would see some creative solutions and it would certainly help alleviate some of the capacity issues.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    If these Master National affiliated handlers no longer need to run weekend tests will they continue to work and plan the weekend events? No one seems willing to answer this question. Maybe I am simply on a lot of ignore lists.
    You are not on my ignore list, but it is too long to add any more folks.

You bring up a valid point. At the margin, certainly many of those griping would be the same ones who would not help if they did not need to qualify their dogs. Most clubs are made up of folks who work hard to help the club put on the best event that it can, but there are the second type in every club. However, they tend not to be the best workers anyway--the ones who pat themselves on the back (and post here about all their hard work at events) for bagging birds prior to a rebird--so it may not be as big a loss.

Many handlers continue to run dogs after they are qual for MN. Of course that's their right.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Cassity View Post
    Agreed. Gorilla hunting and SOB is not marking.

I seem to recall that the third series, long ago, was an upland and that was changed to land /water for time sake. The change to two series would save time, allow judges to set up master level tests without any watering down due to time constraints and should not adversely affect the ability to determine who is worthy of a qualified score and who is not.
    No. Upland tests were never a standard requirement in AKC but we did seem to see more "creative" scenarios and upland situations back in the day.
    I don't agree with eliminating the 3rd series. It's too often the "make or break" series for dogs that either need to step up their game or show those that just can't keep it together for 3 solid series. Compressing to 2 series will just lead to clubs doubling up on weekends and the Sunday test will become a give away as folks are anxious to get done and get home.
    No need to further dilute the MH.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Clubs do have a problem in terms limited resources.
    I am sick and tired of hearing about this excuse. what did all of these clubs due before the Limited's entries where put in place ?? they got by didn't they.

Who asked for these limited entries?? the clubs !!!
    who runs the clubs ?? the weekend warriors !!!
    whos complaining every other week ?? the weekend warriors !!!

makes you think eh !!!

just a blokes point of view !!!

cheers.