The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Master Test sign up missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Ahh, a voice of reason.
    This is an artificial bubble. For those old enough to remember the long lines at gas pumps back in the 70's it wasn't about a gas shortage as much as a fear of gas shortage. So folks with 3/4 tank would line up to get a few gallons, which led to long lines, which led to fears of a gas shortage, which led to long lines . . .
    The limits create an urgency but it is a regional issue. So because you live in an area where it's not an issue, there is no problem? There are 3 tests now open with unlimited entries for those who want to drive out their comfort zone. This past spring NETN only had 27 master entries. Well, of course. That test was to qualify for the MN in California. Let us all know how many entries you get next spring. Some clubs are offering dbl masters with limited entries which might be financially smart for the club but is against the whole idea of allowing limited entries for those clubs w/ limited resources. (If you can handle 2 master tests of 90 dogs each, you can handle a single master of 180 dogs.) Sweet mother of Jesus! If you would like to judge 180 Master dogs at a time, be my guest! I, however, have been a judge for way too long and have way too many assignments under my belt to attempt anything that foolish.
    Blame EE, the MNRC or the phase of the moon, but it's just human nature at work. Put a limit on something and everyone wants a piece.
    Just chill folks. Or start your own club and manipulate the entries anyway you want.
    My responses are in bold print....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Can I ask why its the MNR club fault. Way I understand it its the clubs decision, We have unlimited entries

I can't make it any clearer than I already have.

They need to qualify the dogs themselves through a series of regional qualifiers and let the weekenders enjoy the game as it was intended. It is NOT all about the MN. Why let a small group dictate the shape of the game just because they see it that way?

I am not against the MN; I just want the MNRC to take full ownership of it.-Paul

If you go to EE, you will see that almost every single test east of CO that is opened for entries is full. There is a test running in Jan 2015 with 120 or 180 dog limit that is already full. Guess you have to plan your MH entries for the year the MN is on the opposite coast.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

Wouldn't a lot of people run as many weekend tests as they could to "get ready" for the regional qualifiers?
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Wouldn't a lot of people run as many weekend tests as they could to "get ready" for the regional qualifiers?
    Some yes, all no.
    It is a MN and limited entry combination that causes the problem. I put more blame on MN qualifying than the limited entry, but as Bob pointed out limit something and you get the problem we have now. People enter sooner because it is limited AND they MAY need to be entered to qualify and may not get in if they don't enter the second it opens. If qualifications were changed (I suggest once a dog qualifies it remains qualified, or at a minimum once a dog passes the MN it no longer needs to qualify) people should not feel as much need to enter limited as soon as they open. If events were not limited people would not fill them as quickly. Yes, to answer Toms question, some will still run, but there should not be the urgency to sit at the computer ready to enter the second a test opens. If you are qualified I don't think most will ho to the extreme to enter events they would not normally enter in order to qualify.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post

I think it would be a lot more productive to train with like-minded people, enter 1 spring test and another in August. Take note of where your dogs need polishing after each of those and go back to training. Then run maybe one more a couple weeks before the Big Dance for one last assessment before shoving off for pre-national training in the area the event will be held. -Paul
    Last edited by paul young; 08-12-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    It would seem a possible solution to the problem is giving each club X number of spaces to reserve for member/workers to enter. If they are not filled in one week, those spots will be opened up at that time.

Good idea. Club opening for verified club members and a day later for non members. Or just allow clubs to enter their member in advance when they are submitting the paperwork.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Beil View Post
    The problem is that on one hand, you don't have the capacity in workers or grounds or space to increase number of slots enough to solve this. And, on the other hand, you have the workers not getting into events, which causes them to decide not to work the events, which in turn makes the first problem worse.

What if there was a point system that considers how many events you work - assign each event a certain number of points - say 5 points per flight of an event (so a normal 2 flight weekend would be allocated 20 points). The chairperson for the event can assign those points to their members who work the event, or work to make the event possible, and as you work events, you build up your status/point total. Then you allow the event to open as normal, but at the event closing, you sort the entries by the point totals for the owner plus handler on the dog, and those with the highest totals get in first. That way at least you're protecting the folks who are doing the work, because if you don't who's going to do the work? The folks who get bumped are then more likely to be those who send a dog with a pro and don't help out other than with the entry fee. You'd have to be able to factor in multiple dog entries, but that could be done. Probably too complicated...

Not it a fan of that idea. Some areas only have a handful of test each year and most people don't want to work at other clubs events. Ours hold two test a year and I work both. When I pay hundreds of dollars and drive 6-10 hours to go to a test the last thing I am going to do is throw birds. We never expect people from outside our club to work an event, other than judges of course.
    Many people also just don't have the time to work endless events to earn points so they can enter. The pros and those who are retired or otherwise able to spend every weekend at test will still dominate entries and the average working guy will still be out of luck.
    Corey Burke

I like Dave's club idea of posting that day one is for club member/workers. Day two open to general public.
    Tom Dorroh

There certainly is a lot of animosity towards the Master National. In my area the people that run are some of the nicest, hardest working members of the retriever community. Take these people out of the equation & the clubs will be hard pressed to put on any test.

Limits were a brainchild of the clubs & the current difficulty entering is a direct result. What will be the result if these plate chasers no longer need to run weekend tests? Will they still be there to work?
    Mark Land