The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Test Junior Handler question

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

To clarify, the dog can get his Junior Hunter title. The non related handler can not use those passes for a Junior Handler certificate.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

So.. as an Un-related Junior Handler.... Can she have help from MJH345 at the line as I have seen with other Jr Handlers?
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

Wish my girls had been interested enough at her age. Keep an eye on that one!

I am very interested in this topic as I have entered two junior hunt tests next month with my 10 year old son on the handler list. Moose Mtn. mentioned the elder helping the junior at the line. I have never seen a junior handle and have no clue what to expect. My question is can I help my son? My son has handled her numerous times with success, but I am concerned about our first hunt test with her. Can I at least accompany him in the walk up blinds? He is very interested in training and I would hate to see a fail discourage him. Any advice?

I've had the honor and privilege to judge a few of the up and coming junior handlers. They don't seem to get near as nervous about the tests as their parents!

I would, personally, let you come to the line with a kid this age as a coach. Had 1 father in Junior that knelt down behind the child and coached the son, but didn't talk to or help handle the dog physically.
    Richard Gravely

There is little to nothing in the rules about it, I believe it is up to the Judges discretion. Most judges would be pretty accommodating. So far I have had my daughter's run puppy stakes at a Field Trial so they were NOT "official" stakes. My advice, if your kid knows what they are doing, don't help unless they get in a really bad jam. The judges will likely help them without the panic of a nervous parent (pretty sure some in the gallery were dialing 911 thinking I was sure to have a heart attack)!

Corrected my poor typing of a critical sentence.
    Last edited by IowaBayDog; 08-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I believe the book is silent on help for jr and most judges will accommodate as long as your not obnoxious with the team.

It is possible for adults to have help with an accompanying letter from the akc
    Examples - MS, deaf , downs, parkinson's and so on
    Dk

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    . So far I have had my daughter's run puppy stakes at a Field Trial so they were "official" stakes.!
    Puppy stakes are "official stakes at a Field Trial?

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Puppy stakes are "official stakes at a Field Trial?
    They have them at the Chessie Specialty FT.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    They have them at the Chessie Specialty FT.
    They have them at many trials. I just didn't know they were "official" stakes as Mr Kram has stated they are.