The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Introducing the new pup! Opinion on where were at in our training...

Default Introducing the new pup! Opinion on where were at in our training...

I posted a while back on the forum introducing myself and was inquiring on kennels and breeders as I have been looking into acquring a new choc lab male puppy. My last lab was more of the english build and was looking for a lab with decent size for dealing with the current and choppiness we deal with here down on the gulf of florida. Well I found a pup on the ground that was held back by a kennel to be trained then sold in North GA not too far away by chance. I actually was referred to him by a trainer in SC where im from so I took a few days off from work and headed up to see the pup. He was 4 months old already and came from a good line. The parents were HRCH Wilson's God of Thunder "Thor" x HRCH Roux's Gator Point "Abbey". I noticed numeorous names that were familiar in the pedigree so I was excited to see if this pup would be the one. I also just noticed a post was made the other day about AMMO a choc female thats been doing very well in the Trialing world lately, and when researching into the pedigree before I went up to see the pup I saw that Thor was littermate to AMMO so needless to say Im hopefull and glad I chose to take home my new pup! Things felt right when visiting with the pup and he was a retrieving machine full of energy as he should be at this age when watching him. I took him home last week and now hes settling in as the new "house hunting dog". He hasnt had any formal training whatsoever just exposure training to dead pigeons and ducks,water, bumpers and the normal puppy socialiazation stuff. Since weve been home I have started positive enforcement treat training the basics sit down here and heel and hes slowly gettin it. He mostly decides whether he wants to get a treat or not and if he does he'll do the command! I take him to the pond and swim and throw a couple bumpers in and he'll retrieve no problem. I do about 3 land retrieves in the morning and 3 in the evening in the yard and woods and he always wants more but I quit not to bore or tire him out. He had his first vet check with me the other day at 4 1/2 months and his front adult teeth are in and next to go are his baby K9's and molars. I have been keeping everything positve at this stage only correcting him for destructive behavior in the house and pottytraining. I havent started on the check cord working him with collar pressure with obedience yet. Hes 43LBS right now so was wondering where you guys think I should be moving next in my training program? I was thinking of waiting another month here getting used to things/settled in and me, then start working yardwork with basic basic obedience with collar pressure on the checkcord with few fun bumpers at the end for a job well done,just to slowly transision into "working mode". As of right now he has no idea of working mode/training mode, its just all puppy playing and no steadyness retrieving!Also trying to find some live pigeons around the Jacksonville FL area to introduce some winglocked ones to him so if anyone knows of a place or is around that area any info would be useful. I used the fowl dawgs series with my last dog and he was everything i needed him to be. I just purchased the Chris akin and Tom dokken series just to broaden my knowlege a bit and see the different techniques. I hear alot about Lardys videos and would like to hear the input if it would be worth my time to get them or not. Im not a pro trainer just a amatuer who loves actually hunting most of all and loves seeing a good dog work in its natural element, and I enjoy the satisfaction of watching the dog grow and train to be a successful hunting companion. Its been quite a while since Ive had to train a puppy so any advice you guys can throw in as to what can get me on the right track would be appreciated! Here he is: Last Name Ever,First Name Greatest "Jake"
    jake.jpg
    jake1.jpg

Nice looking pup! Sounds like you are taking a good approach, no reason to rush things. +1 on exposure to birds soon.

Congratulations! Your new adopted puppy was so adorable.

Nice looking pup! Enjoy the ride.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Let the views of others educate and inform you, but let your decisions be a product of your own conclusions. (Jim Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by Congareelabs View Post
    Since weve been home I have started positive enforcement treat training the basics sit down here and heel and hes slowly gettin it. He mostly decides whether he wants to get a treat or not and if he does he'll do the command! I take him to the pond and swim and throw a couple bumpers in and he'll retrieve no problem. I do about 3 land retrieves in the morning and 3 in the evening in the yard and woods and he always wants more but I quit not to bore or tire him out. He had his first vet check with me the other day at 4 1/2 months and his front adult teeth are in and next to go are his baby K9's and molars. I have been keeping everything positve at this stage only correcting him for destructive behavior in the house and pottytraining. I havent started on the check cord working him with collar pressure with obedience yet. Hes 43LBS right now so was wondering where you guys think I should be moving next in my training program? I was thinking of waiting another month here getting used to things/settled in and me, then start working yardwork with basic basic obedience with collar pressure on the checkcord with few fun bumpers at the end for a job well done,just to slowly transision into "working mode". As of right now he has no idea of working mode/training mode, its just all puppy playing and no steadyness retrieving!
    jake.jpg
    jake1.jpg
    I've emboldened the comments above because you asked for input on where you're at in your training program. Jake is 4 1/2 months old and weighs 43 lbs. He doesn't appear to be fat, so I'll assume he's going to be a big boy and is growing fairly rapidly. Based on your description he gets to decide whether to obey a command and he doesn't understand "working mode". I'd suggest that it's time to help him understand a command isn't a suggestion, but a command that should be obeyed. It's easier to get a young 43 pounder's attention and compliance than it is a 80 lbs. dog who's had his way all of his life.

FYI, I don't profess to be a pro trainer and I don't use an e-collar, so perhaps I need to gain cooperation and compliance at an early age to help form the partnership I seek. Others may have differing opinions. You asked for some input beyond the "Nice Looking Dog" comments you have gotten so far, so I offered my own opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Thanks Swack. I totally see what your saying in your response. Its been years since ive worked with a pup and if I can remember correctly I started my last male Goose on the check cord with choke chain pressure when he was at this size or even a lfew pounds lighter. I remember being anxious and "ready to start working" with my last dog and probably rushed things due to this,but he was forgiving and turned out great. Being that I got him at a later age he hasnt really had anyone to establish any kind of dominance/leadership over him. I think in about another 2 weeks or so once hes settled in good Ill start working him on the checkcord with short sessions of OB.

Again thanks for the input!

I'd say it's time for obedience to tighten up a little bit more every day. Do things like making him sit while you go through a door (he waits for your release command) Or making him sit -his but
    t tightly to the floor- before you put his food dish down. There are many subtle ways to establish pack leadership without ever a harsh word. In a month or two he's start being a lot more independent. Just saying...