The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Help with anxiety (the dog, I'm fine..)

Default Help with anxiety (the dog, I'm fine..)

My 7 month old BLF has been having some anxiety issues. She is kennel trained and you never hear a peep from her while she's in there (at night and when we leave/come back from work). Only issue I have been having is when she is out her kennel while my wife and I are home and one of us steps outside, she loses it completely. First trying to bolt through the door with us, then jumping all over the windows and doors, barking, and whining. Now, this is only when one of us leaves. When we both leave she goes into the kennel.

Is this something she gets over once she matures more or is there anything we can do to prevent her from acting this way?
    Last edited by sir big spur; 08-13-2014 at 01:18 PM.

No she won't out-grow it. Need to break the habit now or figure out a way to manage it before it gets worse.

I have one with similar tendancies. I have really started enforcing his obedience. He must sit and stay when we go out the door.

Have her on leash and the one of you staying inside puts her in a sit stay and holds her while the other one goes out the door. You can do it for short periods, then expand the amount of time. Otherwise, you will need to crate her every time one of you goes out the door which isn't very realistic.

Meredith

Good point. I'll give the leash a try for a couple days and see how that improves her behavior. Thanks for the help.

Express that fact that sort of behavior is not OK.
    I would also give the dog something else task oriented to do. Not just "No" but add something physical that he can do, like "Here" and then "Lay Down"
    Gets their mind going in another direction.
    Good Luck
    Don

Thanks Don. I'll throw that into the mix as well.

I also like to say "guard the house" in "the voice" right as I get ready to walk out. He knows the voice means she's at work, but I am pretty sure she hears "go lie down on the couch, maybe chew up something meaningful or important"

Whatever- for my dog- being given a command helped a ton- and I attribute that two elements- 1 being at work helps them out, gives them purpose
    2- the command means ill be back to verify her compliance, so alot of the "what if we never see each other again" anxiety is reduced. It didn't turn off the lunacy overnight- but within a month of giving her a few commands while I grabbed wallet and keys- and then saying "guard the house" on the way out, I could walk out and leave the door open to grab the mail- without her going apes hit and doing backflips around the jeep. Now loading her into the belly of a plane... My dad always said guard the house to the dog when we were kids- and he said that's how she knew we would be back. I think he got it from water dog? I can't remember super pup maybe, I know it was from a book he read to us when we were kids and got a yellow puppy- when our old black dog retired
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 08-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks, jhnnythndr. Going to try a couple of these (probably all) over the next couple weeks and see how she does.