The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost to spay

Default Cost to spay

What's a reasonable cost to pay for spaying a healthy female lab who has not yet come into heat?

And while I'm asking... how much did you pay the last time you had your dog's teeth cleaned?

(Newly retired. On a tighter budget.)

I would suggest you check to see if there is a spay clinic in your area. Not familar with youru region for prices--in the Midwest where I lived until recently, a spay on a Lab was about $400 with bloodwork, etc.

I have never payed to have my dogs' teeth cleaned. They keep their teeth clean with bones and I check once a month and do cleanup with a tooth scraper if needed.

Meredith

The prices could vary tremendously depending on location. A wide variation will exist between Gary IN and Beverly Hills CA. I would suggest not price shopping for a surgical procedure for your dog anymore than I would price shop for a surgical procedure for yourself.

Tulip,
    My vet is 140.00. w/o blood work or fluids. On a young healthy dog I dont do either, my older gals, get the works., makes it about 100 higher ,and then add on for any difficulties that come with an older one,(fat, 'friable' tissues-which my latest had after three litters.
    Im northern Sac valley, fwiw
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Vet school mobile clinic, low cost spay-neuter program = $65 that was last year.
    Lowest teeth cleaning I could find after extensive shopping = base price $150, so I bought a scraper $5 and did myself
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

If she has never come into heat you should probably not have her spayed yet. I would wait until after the 3rd heat cycle to make sure her body is fully matured. Spaying too young can have severe repercussions later in life. Dr. Ed can probably give you some insight on this.

I did look around. I guess technically I could get the shelter people to do it on their spay/neuter program, but I'd have to fudge on the income deal... and I think other pet owners need their services worse than I do.

I paid almost a grand to have a dog spayed 6 years ago. More recently $700.00 for teeth cleaning.

So far one vet in town will do it for $133.00 (with IV fluids and analgesics afterwards and some to take home plus the elizabethan collar.) Another wanted $280.00 for blood work, IV, analgesics, collar AND antibiotics IV during the surgery and some for afterwards. Another vet it was $250.00, but blood work was $56.00, something else was $68.00 the IV was $30.00, and if she'd had a heat cycle it was $89.00 more. And then there is my vet and I haven't gone there yet.

I found a nearby vet who will do a physical and a heartworm check for under $75.00 and my vet I can't get out the door without paying over $100.00 for routine stuff.

When I was working and making 90K/yr I didn't mind paying more. I gotta be realistic now.

I had my pup Spayed 2 weeks ago and it was $160 all in.

Like you have found, it can vary even in your own town. To have my Wolfhound spayed depending on where I called it was anywhere from $130-$400 plus meds. Low cost spay/neuter clinics run about $65-$125. I did my "shopping" just to see what different vets charged. She was never spayed.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    Embers Aint Misbehavin - Flirt (Corona's mini me)

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Newpup is fantastically pedigreed and theoretically it might be nice to keep her (and options) "open". But she's an EIC carrier. So... gotta be spayed.