The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beginning swim by help

Default beginning swim by help

Finished Land T thoroughly. Forced to pile in water done. Remote sit in water is a little more difficult. Tried several times last night. And same results this morning trying again. She spins as soon as I blow the whistle. But then spins back immediately. I tweet again, yell sit she spins swims left or right or comes in. Tweet again spin and look as she goes back towards bumper. Came in to bank. Ran a 50 yard stop en route perfectly. Back to water same confusing spinning. Tried yelling sit stay and throwing my hands up like on the return back stopping in route. Any other suggestions or just keep hammering at it?

Some dogs have trouble treading water. Some will swim towards you to to focus on you since they don't know exactly how to tread water yet. Just give the cast you want and they should start getting more comfortable with the idea of treading water and learn to control it. Since your in the early stage of swim-by, give it a week and see if it improves. You have to give the dog time to get comfortable with what they are doing and what is expected
    Robert Tate
    HR Tate's Nahla "Nahla"

What Tater said:
    My last pup took a long time to learn how to tread water. What worked best for us was for me to hang on to a white bumper blow the whistle and when he turned around go look at me I'd start twirling the dummy. He would focus on that white bumper thinking I was going to throw it. He was actually treading water watching me and he caught on quick after that.
    Every dog is different and I've found that you have to be creative at times. Only you know what your dog can do. So be patient try a little this and a little of that and if your dog has any smarts he'll be training you after awhile.

I with Tom.P on this one. I was just thinking that he doesn't know how to treat water yet! Great idea Tom.

"Treat in water". Is that kin to "seat on a duck"? LOL. What I do is that as soon as the dog turns around, I talk to the dog by saying something like "look at me" several times then cast back. Start out with them just looking at you for a second. Then gradually extend the treading time.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    "Treat in water". Is that kin to "seat on a duck"? LOL. What I do is that as soon as the dog turns around, I talk to the dog by saying something like "look at me" several times then cast back. Start out with them just looking at you for a second. Then gradually extend the treading time.
    For some reason I felt the need to watch this segment of the TRT program last night and I was reminded how much he talked to the dog to reassure him the first few whistle sits in the water. It is a very new thing, and it takes some dogs longer than others.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Well, after more and more work all is good. Started out just getting a look and giving praise after the cast. After a few casts she started treading for a split second. Kept lengthening out the time for casts slowly. Now I count to 5 slowly before casting. Im happy happy. So, like many others im sure I started out just wanting a meat dog. I bought duck dog basics 1 and 2 and the 10 minute retreiver book. All I wanted was a bird to me, and good OB. After getting started, I raised my expectations and wanted to run a few HTs. Now Im planning to run a trial in a year or 2. My program runs out with land T and swim by. Im confident with my dog up to this point. Recently bought the carol cassity drills book but do not know what order to train handling setups past basic T. Should I go ahead and invest in Lardy or Grahams program? Im assuming they are more in depth and can me farther into the training world....

Quote Originally Posted by brsutton86 View Post
    Well, after more and more work all is good. Started out just getting a look and giving praise after the cast. After a few casts she started treading for a split second. Kept lengthening out the time for casts slowly. Now I count to 5 slowly before casting. Im happy happy. So, like many others im sure I started out just wanting a meat dog. I bought duck dog basics 1 and 2 and the 10 minute retreiver book. All I wanted was a bird to me, and good OB. After getting started, I raised my expectations and wanted to run a few HTs. Now Im planning to run a trial in a year or 2. My program runs out with land T and swim by. Im confident with my dog up to this point. Recently bought the carol cassity drills book but do not know what order to train handling setups past basic T. Should I go ahead and invest in Lardy or Grahams program? Im assuming they are more in depth and can me farther into the training world....
    That is good what you have said. I am happy for you. It is kinda fun once you get going.

Yes continue with your choice Stawski, Lardy or Graham. But stick with one program. Good luck!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

I like Lardy but people also have had good success with Smartworks. Go on youtube and watch clips of both and see which one fits your personality better. I believe Evan graham explains why he does stuff a little better than Lardy but if you have some common sense you can figure it out
    Robert Tate
    HR Tate's Nahla "Nahla"

Very good.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"