RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

beginning swim by help

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Mary Lynn Metras 
#1 ·
Finished Land T thoroughly. Forced to pile in water done. Remote sit in water is a little more difficult. Tried several times last night. And same results this morning trying again. She spins as soon as I blow the whistle. But then spins back immediately. I tweet again, yell sit she spins swims left or right or comes in. Tweet again spin and look as she goes back towards bumper. Came in to bank. Ran a 50 yard stop en route perfectly. Back to water same confusing spinning. Tried yelling sit stay and throwing my hands up like on the return back stopping in route. Any other suggestions or just keep hammering at it?

#2 ·
Some dogs have trouble treading water. Some will swim towards you to to focus on you since they don't know exactly how to tread water yet. Just give the cast you want and they should start getting more comfortable with the idea of treading water and learn to control it. Since your in the early stage of swim-by, give it a week and see if it improves. You have to give the dog time to get comfortable with what they are doing and what is expected

#3 ·
What Tater said:
My last pup took a long time to learn how to tread water. What worked best for us was for me to hang on to a white bumper blow the whistle and when he turned around go look at me I'd start twirling the dummy. He would focus on that white bumper thinking I was going to throw it. He was actually treading water watching me and he caught on quick after that.
Every dog is different and I've found that you have to be creative at times. Only you know what your dog can do. So be patient try a little this and a little of that and if your dog has any smarts he'll be training you after awhile.

#5 ·
"Treat in water". Is that kin to "seat on a duck"? LOL. What I do is that as soon as the dog turns around, I talk to the dog by saying something like "look at me" several times then cast back. Start out with them just looking at you for a second. Then gradually extend the treading time.

#6 ·
For some reason I felt the need to watch this segment of the TRT program last night and I was reminded how much he talked to the dog to reassure him the first few whistle sits in the water. It is a very new thing, and it takes some dogs longer than others.

#7 ·
Well, after more and more work all is good. Started out just getting a look and giving praise after the cast. After a few casts she started treading for a split second. Kept lengthening out the time for casts slowly. Now I count to 5 slowly before casting. Im happy happy. So, like many others im sure I started out just wanting a meat dog. I bought duck dog basics 1 and 2 and the 10 minute retreiver book. All I wanted was a bird to me, and good OB. After getting started, I raised my expectations and wanted to run a few HTs. Now Im planning to run a trial in a year or 2. My program runs out with land T and swim by. Im confident with my dog up to this point. Recently bought the carol cassity drills book but do not know what order to train handling setups past basic T. Should I go ahead and invest in Lardy or Grahams program? Im assuming they are more in depth and can me farther into the training world....

#8 ·
That is good what you have said. I am happy for you. It is kinda fun once you get going.

Yes continue with your choice Stawski, Lardy or Graham. But stick with one program. Good luck!

#9 ·
I like Lardy but people also have had good success with Smartworks. Go on youtube and watch clips of both and see which one fits your personality better. I believe Evan graham explains why he does stuff a little better than Lardy but if you have some common sense you can figure it out

#11 ·
Okay I took video of Mickey 10m old doing swimby just for others to see. This is about his third time on the over and treading water. I did not dwell on treading but next time and each I will hold on casting him over so he gets comfy with it. So far he is liking things. But I must say this process is not as smooth as on Mr. Lardy's DVD!:) He is showing some compulsion!!:D as suggested! We are getting there slowly. I am a horrible video taker so bear with me.

http://youtu.be/lTyitUJ56EE

http://youtu.be/ahBgJ_qU3ms

#12 ·
Nothing is as easy as shown in Lardy videos ;) Your dog is doing it for the first time, not like the video dogs! One reason I enjoyed Hillmann's videos is almost all training is done on camera. Danny Farmer and Judy Aycock also tend to show inexperienced dogs. It is helpful when the dogs aren't perfect performers, then you get to see and hear what to do when your imperfect dog trys the new task.

#15 ·
Swim By Story

The other day I came home from teaching SB to Mickey. My knees were burning. :( I couldn't think what was wrong. Looking at them they were all scratched. Figured out shouldn't have worn my shorts while placing the bumpers. The grasses had scratched all around the knees and made a mess.

Today I was better prepared. I had long rain pants on. Walking around placing the bumpers was a bit of a pain. Things went easier. Mickey watches or is supposed to while I do placement.

This video is what Mickey's first swimby looked like. My filming is rough as I am trying to concentrate on him, operate the camera while moving across rough terrain. Well I can't operate it even if we are standing still and on smooth terrain so I am not sure what I am talking about.:) But...

SB is very difficult for me to get the dog going IMO. At times I think he is bordering on brain dead. I know his balls are bigger than his brain at 10m. He means well! For sure he doesn't understand English and has selective hearing even if I am yelling in hopes of him hearing or understanding. So you have to be on top of him to keep things rolling my way.

I thought about the rope idea Randy suggested. I know Ken B. loves the rope. Couldn't bring myself to try it. I thought that is one more thing for me to handle. And I could visualize myself ending up in the pond or getting the rope wrapped around my foot and being dragged into the pond while selective hearing was in charge.

Today Mickey surprised me however. The light came on. He does understand English and can hear! He did the SB right past me with coaxing.

It remains to be seen if he follows through tomorrow and manages to retain that info upstairs. :) But we crossed a big hurdle! And all in good time. We are having fun.:)

http://youtu.be/LZeHcn2BEvM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.