The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: How do you feel, and what do you think about the inhumane slaughter of dogs by the Chinese?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would go so far as to stand alongside PeTA to put an end to it!

6 9.38%
  • I Would like to put an end to it, but I would NEVER work alongside the likes of PeTA!

25 39.06%
  • It is all culturally relative, and the Chinese can slaughter their dogs the way they want to!

33 51.56%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Animal Rights Groups and Dog Killing

Default Poll: Animal Rights Groups and Dog Killing

Here is an interesting question for you. As you all know the Chinese kill dogs for food. While some find that distasteful enough, others are not bothered until they discover that many of the dogs are slaughtered alive after being beaten "Because it makes the meat taste better." So-o-o-o....

Would you stand up alongside your sworn enemies like the HSUS and PeTA to put an end to the inhumane slaughter of dogs for food in China?

Or do you find the Chinese killing dogs inhumanely repugnant and you would like to put an end to it, but you would NEVER work with the HSUS and PeTA, no way, no how?

Or do you view it as culturally relative -- the Chinese have a right to kill the dogs any way they want for consumption?
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

I remember seeing a tv report on this several years ago - it was heart-wrenching to be sure - both cats and dogs were killed (boiled alive) and eaten. Part of me wondered if at least part of it was staged.....gotta remember good ol propoganda is probably largely at work.

Not sure why they think beating the animal will make it more tender. Most hunters know that the quicker a death is and more relaxed an animal is when it is dispatched means less build up of acids in the body due to adrenaline and therefore, more tender meat.

I would not stand beside PETA - NO Way ---I really don't think there is much that Americans can do about it anyway......homo-sapiens have been eating dogs and cats for many eons and I doubt it will change.

Think about this,
    w/ the bird flu scare going on in asia - do you think they will be breeding and eating more cats and dogs? my bet is, yes.

Juli
    Eat Moose, 12,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Post this Poll in India. Change the wording from dogs to cows.

See what their response is.

It's totally a cultural thing and nothing we can do about it, nor should we.

Jerry
    "Where The Hell Is Bedias, TX?"

this is just wild i just got back from a party, log on here and this is the first thing i read.the party i came from was thrown by the chinese comunity in my town. i have been attending there parties for 20 years, the same amount of time i have been married to my wife[who is chinese]ya where lookin at this and shakin our heads.i dont know where to begin.chinese eating dogs is not that common,and its not just any dog its a certain breed and its a cultural thing.she has never heard about beating them first or boiling them alive or what the @#$% any way.ya all know peta are just a bunch of idiot lunitic propaganda spoutin morrons.maybe something gets documented that is a rare incident and it gets blown out of proportion,like the odd idiot hasnt commited some hanus acts against animals over here.ah im spent ,geessus
    if it flies it dies

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Post this Poll in India. Change the wording from dogs to cows.

See what their response is.

It's totally a cultural thing and nothing we can do about it, nor should we.

Jerry
    jerry you really know how to put things into perspective
    if it flies it dies

I saw the footage, you know dogs...they were trusting and wagging their tails right before they were being skinned alive. It was hard to watch.

Philosophically, I'm NOT a cultural relativist, so that would explain my opinion. Humans are humans, animals are animals, and as such, humans have the capacity to understand more about what they do. Torture and inflicting pain is not cultural, in this case, it's like superstition.

Cultural relativists would also support female circumcisions/clitorectomies in young girls and male circumcisions without anesthesia at age 20. I believe that education is important in getting rid of what I believe are simply "antiquated superstitions"....there are tons of other such practices, including the spread of A.I.D.S. due to *superstitions* concerning young virgins in Africa.

I believe that skinning alive dogs, and eating them, will go the way of cannabalism, and all this other stuff, as the world becomes more educated. We don't burn witches at stake anymore, like we did in Salem. At the very LEAST, they will continue to eat dogs for a while, but kill them humanely. That would certainly be a step in the right direction.

I believe in education, not extremism, so I don't support any extremist factions, whether it be over human or animal causes.

A dog getting skinned alive, and shuddering in a pile afterwards with no skin, is probably not much different than the pain I would feel, if subjected to the same treatment? Does anyone know of any studies that would deny that?.
    ~Laura~

Is a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac someone who lies awake at night wondering if there is really is a dog?

so birdy you think this skinning dogs alive is wide spread, its the norm?
    if it flies it dies

sure it heart wrenching, but dont ya think it isolated icidents, some sensationalizm goin on?
    if it flies it dies

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict2
    so birdy you think this skinning dogs alive is wide spread, its the norm?
    My sister just returned from a month-long trip to China....she did not see any dogs on the menu, nor did she suspect she had eaten any.

She was in many of the large cities, like Shanghai, as well as the countryside.

(Interestingly, another thing she did not see.....overweight people. She said she looked hard, too! Everyone eats very fresh food, she did not see canned goods anywhere, nor processed foods in freezers.)

Yes, it's sensationalized, but again, for me it is less about eating dogs, than it is about humanely killing them before you eat 'em.

You can bet your bottom dollar if I was in a survival situation and starving to death, I would certainly eat a dog if one walked by.
    ~Laura~

Is a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac someone who lies awake at night wondering if there is really is a dog?

There should be a fourth choice here;

Kevin should turn off the tv, unplug the computer and take his dogs for a walk. Gimme a break!!

This is poll material???

Hugh
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift