The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Army Surplus

Default US Army Surplus

On NPR today they were discussing the militarization of local police depts. Which would be an admirable thread itself, but during the interview they mentioned that of the 16 some billion dollars of equipment that was given out much of it had seen little use and 1/3 or more had never been used at all. I was thinking what an enormous waste of defense dollars, but I was wondering what you all might think.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

The military-industrial complex w/cost overruns , bloated budgets, local/regional state business/employment based on military purchases. When challenged the flag wavers protest that it is national security and anyone who opposes it is un-American. It is harder to get people to agree on rebuilding or maintaining our infrastructure (roads, bridges, water/gas/oil pipelines ,etc). The past three days in my state area a 60inch water main is down w/water restrictions serving over 600,000 people. Preventive maintenance -what??

In SE Michigan we are having many of the same problems. The recent floods we had were exasperated by the ageing and deficient water pump systems. When questioned about it the city official said that yes they did eliminate a lot of staff, but they didn't reduce the maintenance schedule. Looking at the armor and such that is given out which is already black as opposed to the army drab, do you think it is ordered by DoD like that just to be given away?
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'

I do not love our local police having tanks, military aircraft and armored vehicles, etc. But thinking back to the bank robbery in Los Angeles when the guys robbing the bank were in full military body armor and using automatic weapons with armor piercing ammo. They kill a mess of cops, who only had hand guns and a few shotguns.

Seems with the availability of hard core weapons, the cops have to be prepared for well armed criminal. May not need them often, but when they do, they need them! They are the thin blue line.....

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    I do not love our local police having tanks, military aircraft and armored vehicles, etc. But thinking back to the bank robbery in Los Angeles when the guys robbing the bank were in full military body armor and using automatic weapons with armor piercing ammo. They kill a mess of cops, who only had hand guns and a few shotguns.

Seems with the availability of hard core weapons, the cops have to be prepared for well armed criminal. May not need them often, but when they do, they need them! They are the thin blue line.....
    No cops were killed in the shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    On NPR today they were discussing the militarization of local police depts. Which would be an admirable thread itself, but during the interview they mentioned that of the 16 some billion dollars of equipment that was given out much of it had seen little use and 1/3 or more had never been used at all. I was thinking what an enormous waste of defense dollars, but I was wondering what you all might think.
    By the way Henlee....why would anyone quote NPR on anything? Just saying...

Are they thinking that riots may break out all across America... St. Louis proves it could happen.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Are they thinking that riots may break out all across America... St. Louis proves it could happen.
    Yep, especially with Obama in office!

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    By the way Henlee....why would anyone quote NPR on anything? Just saying...
    !Henlee responds to a post where the Swampman claimed that "they kill a mess of cops"; by stating that Swamp is once again wrong and that there were NO cops killed.

Swampman replies to that post by questioning the validity of Henlee's sources!??!!????!!!!????

Only the swampthing is obtuse enough to be able to attempt to pull that off!

By the way swampy tell us what part of the OP's source do youi disagree with??
    Do you argue that local cops are getting more militarized? Or do you disagree that the Military wastes Money?

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    The military-industrial complex w/cost overruns , bloated budgets, local/regional state business/employment based on military purchases. When challenged the flag wavers protest that it is national security and anyone who opposes it is un-American. It is harder to get people to agree on rebuilding or maintaining our infrastructure (roads, bridges, water/gas/oil pipelines ,etc). The past three days in my state area a 60inch water main is down w/water restrictions serving over 600,000 people. Preventive maintenance -what??
    I am amazed (and amused) by the hardliners who scream at the horror of passing on our outrageous national debt to the next generation, but are comfortable turning a blind eye to the crumbling infrastructure that they will have to rebuild.

Talk about kicking the can down the road.

JS
    Dont wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve. Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON