RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

I want to say Thank You

6K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  JusticeDog 
#1 ·
I can not say how thankful I am right now.
While running the Amateur at Muddy Waters today. My dog went down in the field from over heating
Had it not been for the help and immediate response, more likely then not would have lost my dog.
The immense respect that I have for Jeff Schuett, Lydia Fekula, Jeff Vander Zandan and Kurt Hallgren
and anyone else that helped with saving my dog today.
I was lucky today that these people were on hand and knew what to do.
I owe you all.
And I hope no one else, ever has to go through this.
Thank You everyone.
Rick Finger and Banjo

#4 ·
Sorry to hear he went down but glad to hear of the great reaction of those around you. Here's to a full and speedy recovery.

#6 ·
Not the first time Jeff Schuett has saved a dog at a field trial. Great vet. Kurt is also a very competent vet. Lots of respect for they young man also. Lydia and Jeff V. Are both good dog people.

sorry this happened Rick...... You have a very nice dog..... But glad there were people there who could help!

#8 ·
Thank You Susan and everyone else. Banjo seems to be doing better this morning
But what now? How much will this affect future training.
His body temp was over 110. Will this be more common now?
I love that dog to much to ever put him through that again.

#9 ·
Rick, glad Banjo is doing well. For my own knowledge only, as most of my dog training life has been spent in cool climates of Alaska and WA state... Now I'm training a year old pup and find myself constantly worrying and scheduling around the weather... What were the weather conditions at the time Banjo got in trouble? Did he have a long hunt in cover? (If you care to talk about it, if not I understand and sorry for putting you on the spot.)

#10 ·
Rick, I hope the best for Banjo. I had a dog go down at a trial--he had a temperature of 109.5 degrees. Dr. Jeff immediately came and administered help--had an IV and iced the dog down. My dog was down for one hour. I did not run my dog again in training or field trials, but he is a very nice house pet today. We are very fortunate to have accomplished vets at our trials.
Jack

#13 ·
My now 9.5 yo went down to heat a few years ago. It did seem to affect her tolerance as far as training/running in it, and her eyes started bluing at only about 7, so I think she had some damage there. She was to the point of going into a convulsion at the vet clinic and also was well over 108F. Scary stuff. :(

#14 ·
Taking him in tomorrow for a follow up and blood work.
To respond to the other question.
The temp was low to mid 80s, but humid.
Banjo is a very hard goer. Picked up to of the 3 birds with small hunts.
Sent him on the third bird and he went over the hill. Iwaited to give him a chance but when he didn't show I

#16 ·
I have had two dogs in my dog career that I owned and trained go down , present when another one went down and died, it is very disheartening ! One was a very talented Derby dog, Master Hunter and all age dog. She went down three times..I found a good pet home for her and was retired at 5. She is now about 10 years old lives a very normal life, does a little hunting and loved by her new owners. She was a sweetheart , but, felt in the best interest of health, fearful that I would continue to run this little talented dog (couldn't trust myself) she was placed. The other was a very talented dog that we managed to get 13 all-age points, Derby list etc and continued to run her, but was very careful. Hindsight now probably should have retired her. Humidity is the culprit many times, not air temps, and that appeared to me to be the trigger of the events..I have empathy , but, only you can make decisions on the future and whatever medical advice is received. Hope it works out for you.

#18 ·
Wow. So sorry your pup went through this but thanks for sharing here. Just shows that the temps don't have to be super hot to create situations for our dogs. Best wishes for Banjo.
I had an episode of heat exhaustion and dehydration from vomiting with Lyle as a derby dog. He recovered just fine but it scared the you know what out of me. Good luck.

#21 ·
Do not be surprised if he develops diarrhea. I have had overheated dogs develop severe bloody diarrhea. Smells like parvovirus but is not. Have to keep up fluids and keep him hydrated. Good idea to see the vet tomorrow. Feed small more frequent meals.
Good luck

#26 ·
I am so glad to hear that Banjo is doing better...... Hope to see you guys this fall!

#25 · (Edited)
80's, high humidity...and if trialing in tall grass is a sauna :( Step into it and see for yourself, even on short grass fields the heat/humid conditions that emit is surprising. Training and trialing in water same conditions, retrievers heat up when they swim/work (just like humans but we can sweat in water)and if they can't get rid of that heat...air conditions/warm water..they can get in trouble and can die from heat exhaustion just as on land.

So glad that Banjo is doing better and hope he makes a full recovery.

Thank you for sharing. That and the feedback is full of information that is good to know.

Judy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.