The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Trainers

  1. #1
    Senior Member 480/277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Conn
    Posts
    137

    Default Trainers

    After some consideration , I am leaning to having a pro train Ben.
    of course I would prefer closer rather than farther from CT but I'm open.
    I prefer someone who has experience with softer dogs.
    any feedback is appreciated

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    40

    Default

    The NE is light on pro trainers. I'd say plan on farther then closer. Whats your plan hunting, hunt test, or FT?
    Last edited by tucker; 08-18-2014 at 08:48 AM.

  3. #3
    Member Oz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kingston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I use Jim Pickunka in Brooklyn, Ct (978)758-2999 for the past couple of years. He has really been there for my boy. I consider my dog softer, as in cautious, but Jim has really brought out the best in him. One more thing, the dogs he works with enjoy working with him. Just a suggestion. Oz
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs!

  4. #4
    Senior Member 480/277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Conn
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    The NE is light on pro trainers. I'd say plan on farther then closer. Whats your plan hunting, hunt test, or FT?
    Hunting.
    But I would like to field a dog that would be welcome anyplace....

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    40

    Default Trainers

    Sounds like OZ might have someone worth a try, close by and you have someone that has used him first hand. Also Swift River Retrievers in Ma. might be a good place to start. Bucks a nice guy and good with his dogs. Also Snowbound Kennels in Vt. Alex Sparks is a great guy and takes good care of his dogs. He's just south of Lake Champlain.


    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    Hunting.
    But I would like to field a dog that would be welcome anyplace....
    Last edited by tucker; 08-18-2014 at 11:20 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 480/277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Conn
    Posts
    137

    Default

    I like the closer and will look into them thanks.
    Most important is confidence in Ben's welfare, then results.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    I like the closer and will look into them thanks.
    Most important is confidence in Ben's welfare, then results.
    I would go watch the Pro's training on home turf or at an event

    Buck Shope of Swift River is a good choice. Located in Mass.
    has much success with Labs and Goldens and takes very good care of the dogs in his care.
    Good luck

  8. #8
    Senior Member Miriam Wade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry and Freya View Post
    I would go watch the Pro's training on home turf or at an event

    Buck Shope of Swift River is a good choice. Located in Mass.
    has much success with Labs and Goldens and takes very good care of the dogs in his care.
    Good luck
    That's very good advice. Watch the dogs in training and testing and they will tell you what they think of the trainer. I have never had a dog with Buck and Tara, but I would trust them with my dog. Buck also will teach you how to train your dog and how to handle.

    I would find the right fit for your dog to be more important than who is closer. You are making a big investment and your dog deserves to be treated fairly.

    M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

    Mitch Patterson '07

    MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

  9. #9
    Senior Member 480/277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Conn
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miriam Wade View Post
    That's very good advice. Watch the dogs in training and testing and they will tell you what they think of the trainer. I have never had a dog with Buck and Tara, but I would trust them with my dog. Buck also will teach you how to train your dog and how to handle.

    I would find the right fit for your dog to be more important than who is closer. You are making a big investment and your dog deserves to be treated fairly.

    M


    The right fit is more important than who is closer or cheaper....

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bridget Bodine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Winola, Pa
    Posts
    2,309

    Default

    Buck Shope
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

    Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •