The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should handlers be allowed to take a picture of their score sheet?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 40.78%
  • No

61 59.22%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Hunt Test Judging Sheets

Default AKC Hunt Test Judging Sheets

Should handlers be allowed to take a picture of their score sheet after an AKC hunt test? Please give info to support your position.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

Without an understanding of any individual judges shorthand. A snapshot of the page will be nothing more than a glance at hieroglyphs. I do feel that handlers should be able to discuss the sheets. Not at the running line but by going through the proper protocol, after the test with an offering of cold bier or other alms.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken,
    Assume you're using "bier" in the German definition.
    Agree. The rules allow the handler to view his/her score sheet. Nothing about sharing that with the world.
    Look, but don't tweet, regards.

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

I know for myself, as a new handler in the game, I like to see the sheets. I find it helpful to know the types of things the judges are actually looking for and actually seeing. Unless something is clearly contentious, I don't think I would ever argue a point on a score sheet, but I do like understanding how the judges minds work. Over time, at higher levels, I will probably start keeping a log of what different judges deem important, and use that information as a focus point for training prior to running under them. Just my uneducated opinion.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

I would imagine that it would be up to the individual judge, as to whether they allow a handler to photo the sheets. As long as they are only taking the sheet from their dog, what's the issue? If you are a judge, and can't stand behind the scoresheet that you filled out for a particular dog, then you shouldn't be judging....
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    ....As long as they are only taking the sheet from their dog, what's the issue? ....
    Imagin Monday mornings on the RTF. Somebody typing "My dog clearly went over the point in this test and the judge did not even draw the point!" and on and on....

or pointing out math errors!!!
    those poor akc judges need an abacus at the line these days 'cause of that no distracting electric device rule
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

If you are a judge, and can't stand behind the scoresheet that you filled out for a particular dog, then you shouldn't be judging....
    I couldn't agree more! It's like taking a test at school and never knowing what you got right/wrong. I think they should be handed out at the ribbon ceremony. However, there will always be those that get mad and with social media now it will be everywhere.
    HRCH Bear Branch Simply Amazing Grace

To improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by stonybrook View Post
    Should handlers be allowed to take a picture of their score sheet after an AKC hunt test? Please give info to support your position.
    At an A.K.C. Obedience event the judges sheets are posted for all to view after the class. This will tell the handler where they lost points and hopefully improve.

View and discuss yes , but I agree the interpretation ,after the fact, without explanation from the judge could vary wildly. NO NEED for THAT. No Pictures
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I would imagine that it would be up to the individual judge, as to whether they allow a handler to photo the sheets. As long as they are only taking the sheet from their dog, what's the issue? If you are a judge, and can't stand behind the scoresheet that you filled out for a particular dog, then you shouldn't be judging....
    Are you a judge??
    Stan b & Elvis