The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Should handlers be allowed to take a picture of their score sheet?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 40.78%
  • No

61 59.22%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Hunt Test Judging Sheets

I'd suggest approaching the judge one on one and having a friendly discussion. He may or may not want you to take a picture. It should not be about making a rule book fatter or more complicated. It is a simple matter of personal preference and communication.

Not long ago, I judged an event and later happened to be talking with an owner whose pro ran his dog in the trial. I took a picture of my score sheet and sent it from my smartphone so he could see my sheet. (sometimes a picture can tell lots of words, as the saying goes) He never posted the picture on the net anyplace and I knew he wouldn't.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

As a judge, if asked nicely, I would not mine a picture of their sheet. As stated above, we need to be able to stick to our judgement.

Now, my sheets tend to be a little messy, but I don't think that I would mind giving a copy to a handler. I have actually sent sheets to handlers on Monday morning when they were not able to be there Sunday when the ribbons were handed out...

Yes or No it really doesn't matter to me; however, seeing a grown man have a melt down and claim he is going to turn a judge into the AKC because he cannot take a picture is beyond childish. Its people like this that make every facet of life a complete struggle and usually end up lonely and unhappy. Take into consideration this individual got a ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxxx011 View Post
    Yes or No it really doesn't matter to me; however, seeing a grown man have a melt down and claim he is going to turn a judge into the AKC because he cannot take a picture is beyond childish. Its people like this that make every facet of life a complete struggle and usually end up lonely and unhappy. Take into consideration this individual got a ribbon.
    Did this really happen or are you speculating re the reason for the query?

The score sheet is the property of the Judge and as such it is the Judges discretion. The handler may request to see their score sheet. This is very different than making an electronic copy that can be shared with the world at any time. If you choose to allow an electronic copy to be made, be prepared to explain your decisions five, ten, or twenty years from now on RTF and/or other Social Media.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Are you a judge??
    Sure am, Stan...=)
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    Sure am, Stan...=)
    I judged with a co judge this past weekend that used an I-pad...........It was pretty slick in that he only drew the set up once.
    Had the scoring template already laid out.
    My only issue would be what happened 10 minutes after our test ended!!!!

Know what I mean???
    Stan b & Elvis

I had this request a short time ago and had no issue with it. Handlers and owners have every right to see there sheet and if I have done my job right, should not care if a snap shot is taken of it. I do think asking is preferred and a proper way to go about it.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I judged with a co judge this past weekend that used an I-pad...........It was pretty slick in that he only drew the set up once.
    Had the scoring template already laid out.
    My only issue would be what happened 10 minutes after our test ended!!!!

Know what I mean???
    They make water resistant cases...the i-Pad holds up better than the paper score sheets and the waterproof scoresheets...and you can send the scoresheet in PDF form, should a participant request it...=)
    The dog will always prove you wrong