The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lets fix the hunt test game

Not trying to speak for Richchief but two that readily come to mind when judging flights dominated by a few pros is when you have to honor (1st series when you have the most dogs to work with) and distance away from parking areas to have your test (too far and you can be waiting on dogs, which affects time management).

Then you should have been more clear in your first post. And nothing says you can't honor in all series. Nothing wrong with saying what you're thinking, but you should think about what you say. Your post seemed clearly aimed at blaming the pro handler for you not having fun judging.

Quote Originally Posted by richchief View Post
    Like maybe you have to put the honor in the first test you cant wait till the end with two pros now can you. This is why i have never been on this site too many people just waiting to try and put someone down for just SAYING WHAT THEY ARE THINKING. Thank you Brad B
    You sure can...if you want to wait to do the honor in the last series, include your double blind...then the pro has plenty of time to get his next dog ready...matter of fact, you could do this in any series, problem solved...and make sure they don't have a 1/2 mile walk to get to the line.
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Not trying to put pros down heck the last master I judged I had a blast 1 pro had almost 30 dogs just saying we had to kind of set things up because one guy had most the dogs.

Not trying to put pros down heck the last master I judged I had a blast 1 pro had almost 30 dogs just saying we had to kind of set things up because one guy had most the dogs.
    Now that I understand.

I don't understand why the Agility model has not gained more support.

- Allows Club to reserve spots for workers. (Workers do not have to be club members, for example an am with 1 or 2 dogs to run, can agree to help for a spot)

- Clubs can choose to allow the additional spots filled on either 1st come or by a random draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    I don't understand why the Agility model has not gained more support.

- Allows Club to reserve spots for workers. (Workers do not have to be club members, for example an am with 1 or 2 dogs to run, can agree to help for a spot)

- Clubs can choose to allow the additional spots filled on either 1st come or by a random draw.
    I really like any idea that guarantees worker entries. Without volunteers the whole system collapses.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by Good Dogs View Post
    Why? I try to set fair, fun and challenging tests and don't look at the entry list ahead of time.
    I'm looking at the dog, not the truck it came off of.
    That's about it..Why would you compromise a test to fit a pro schedule. Do time management on the number of dogs, don't let up , and as my old Target Store used to say, "fast, fun and friendly" . If you can't do that then don't accept judging assignments.
    Earl Dillow

Here are three suggestions:

1) Three series of a Master Test can typically be run in 1 1/2 days. By starting on Fridays, clubs have three full days to run tests; logistically doubling their time to run Masters. Limit Friday starts to pros. Offer Saturday afternoon starts to a higher percentage of Amateurs/Owner Handlers.
    2) Review qualification requirements for Master Nationals. Running six tests a season in a general locale is difficult to do, particularly for the amateur. Current guidelines often eliminate dogs based on logistics not on the quality of dog. Revise the qualification for dogs with a MH by passing two Qualifying Master tests within a calendar year, but limiting the number one can enter to three. Additionally, Qualifying Master Tests to be sanctioned only at three day events. This would better ensure the quality of dog that the MNH title represents and would reduce entrants to manageable numbers.
    3) Clubs post needed "volunteer help ..." and make readily known their specific needs on Entry Express and at the testing grounds. Most everyone I have meet at the events have been more than eager to help when asked. Reality is most participants assume that the clubs have everything under control, or they may think they'd get in the way, or they are unsure of what's expected. Making clearly known the club's "needs" could resolve many of the volunteer problems.
    Matt Rodriguez

"The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare."

Like maybe you have to put the honor in the first test you cant wait till the end with two pros now can you. This is why i have never been on this site too many people just waiting to try and put someone down for just SAYING WHAT THEY ARE THINKING. Thank you Brad B
    Understood, now that I know what you were thinking. What you are talking about I consider as the mechanics of the test, not the actual set-ups of marks and blinds. Thanks for clarifying.
    Yes, with a big field or long strings of dogs you have to pay attention to the mechanics. Park the big rigs near the line. Make sure you schedule an honor to avoid having to run bye dogs and waste time and birds. Let the folks with big strings know you expect them to have a dog out, aired and ready to run when called. Most are good with that and have the help needed to keep things rolling. Some, not so much. But the bad ones are in the minority, from my experience.

Now, back to the original thread . . .

I'm beginning to lean toward an OHAM option for HTs. For clubs that can handle a dbl master, one test could be the OHAM, the other open. Or the club could elect to slit its financial wrists and only offer an OHAM. Be interesting to see what crises that option would create.