The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Table to Ground FF

Default Table to Ground FF

Alright so we have progressed nicely on the table. It is nearly automatic at this point without my hand being there. Every now and then he bugs but only for a second and he is back on his A-game. The problem is, when we tried to move to the ground he wouldn't pick it up unless I was holding part of it off of the ground or had my hand on it, if I wasn't touching it he wouldn't even open his mouth to take it. Also he isn't picking it up firmly, it is either a cigar or just barely in the front of his mouth. How would I go about trying to fix it? I assume moving back onto the table wouldn't do any good since he works great there.

The way I understand that it works best is to rework it on the ground the same way you did it on the table. Start close to his face like you did on the table then progressively move towards the ground in small increments. It should move faster than the table work did assuming your pup was solid on the table, which it seems like he is.

If you step on the rope tab the bumper will raise up off the ground at an angle. What you are experiencing is not unusual.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 08-19-2014 at 01:55 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    If you step on the rope tab the bumper will raise up off the ground at an angle. What you are experiencing is not unusual.
    Yes, try the method Wayne stated above. It gives the dog a sense that you are somewhat connected to it.

A very good reason not to use the table in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    A very good reason not to use the table in the first place
    There are also a lot of positives to using a table as well. I like starting with the toe hitch, which for some reason, the dogs seem to take less personal. After that, I transition to the ear on the table, then go to the ground. It saves my back a ton of pain. Typically going to the ground doesn't take long for them to be nailing it and moving pretty good. After that, I go back to the table to collar condition to fetch. After I finish that, its on to pile work.

I'm in the early stages with my current puppy. Took a day off and the light came on last night. Sometimes they need a break as well. Every dog is different. Read and adjust if necessary.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

I start on the table and once hold is down ( before Fetch work starts) I use a chair for the dog to walk off the table, onto the chair and to the ground. Then we Heel around the floor and back up on the chair and onto the table. I expand from there.
    Using the table works for me and it is just another element of work I expect.
    Don

as you've read, that is one of he negative's of using the table. However, just continue pinching his ear when he refuses to pick up the bumper. Remember, you cannot stay on the negative side, put your hand on the bumper every so often and praise his success. which should be the same thing you were doing on the table.
    good luck
    GG
    NO DOG WILL PERFORM TO HIS TRAINING LEVEL UNLESS HIS HANDLER IS CAPABLE OF MAKING HIM DO SO!
    reibar.com