The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: how many bumpers do I need?

  1. #21
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,172

    Default

    Or get left handed bumpers and right handed bumpers...
    Bill Davis

  2. #22
    Senior Member jd6400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NE OHio
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    Or try making discard piles behind you in a condensed mirror image of the piles in front of you.

    Jim
    Thats fine if everyone looks at the mirror the same way....I like Bills suggestion
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

  3. #23
    Senior Member Good Dogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Depends on how many you get stuck in trees.

  4. #24
    Senior Member DarrinGreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Souf Joisy
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    I have 18 2" white and 6 2" orange... I like even numbers, I guess
    Darrin Greene

  5. #25
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    862

    Default

    When I started out I was poor so I didn't have any bumpers
    I started hanging around the pro's and when they left My dog collected the ones that were left
    I now have hundreds
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  6. #26
    Senior Member Mary Lynn Metras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Watford, ONT
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    When I started out I was poor so I didn't have any bumpers
    I started hanging around the pro's and when they left My dog collected the ones that were left
    I now have hundreds
    Don't they have green ones and other colors over there. I was reading an English mag and it showed them. I like the colors!!! Do the colors signify anything?
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051



    "Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

  7. #27
    Senior Member 2tall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Taos, New Mexico
    Posts
    8,027

    Default

    You need more than you have, you need different colors than you have, you definitely need a different size than you have, and for fine tuning you MUST have different textures, hardness/softness/plastic/canvas!!!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

  8. #28
    Senior Member RJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central IL.
    Posts
    644

    Default

    I didn't realize there is/was ever having enough of them.

  9. #29
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Don't they have green ones and other colors over there. I was reading an English mag and it showed them. I like the colors!!! Do the colors signify anything?
    The green canvass bumper/dummy is popular ! has been since the end of WW2 ,only because we had a surplus of green canvass Mary Lynn , It is also very hard wearing and holds scent!..filled with sawdust it makes it useful to replicate the weight size of a bird for training !?..You can also fire shot (cordite) on the canvass to hold scent of shot?..Green is not seen so easily on green grass for a dog so it makes them use their nose rather than eyes ?..For marks?..White is best but in the UK and especially Scotland we have less money , so we just paint half the green canvas dummy .
    Slowly we are waking up to the advantages of the American ways of Orange as in T and TT drills , but it will take a while before the dinosaurs are extinct
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  10. #30
    Senior Member Mary Lynn Metras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Watford, ONT
    Posts
    3,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    The green canvass bumper/dummy is popular ! has been since the end of WW2 ,only because we had a surplus of green canvass Mary Lynn , It is also very hard wearing and holds scent!..filled with sawdust it makes it useful to replicate the weight size of a bird for training !?..You can also fire shot (cordite) on the canvass to hold scent of shot?..Green is not seen so easily on green grass for a dog so it makes them use their nose rather than eyes ?..For marks?..White is best but in the UK and especially Scotland we have less money , so we just paint half the green canvas dummy .
    Slowly we are waking up to the advantages of the American ways of Orange as in T and TT drills , but it will take a while before the dinosaurs are extinct
    Thx for the explanation! Green is my fav color!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051



    "Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •