RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Business or pleasure?

3K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Donald Hatfield 
#1 ·
Are Hunt tests a business or are they recreation? Discuss nicely, please.-Paul

#5 ·
Either HRC or FT (pass or fail or place or not) are fun and pleasure for me. Like a vacation. I try to go to new areas I have not been before to see sights. I also take my bike and try to get a ride in with the dogs. Love meeting new people, helping out if needed or do nothing and enjoy! Try to learn and listen!! FUN!!!IMO

#9 ·
It depends on the horse or the boat....;)

On the personal level I enjoy getting away and ignoring the routine and mundane of maintaining house and yard. Subsequently when I come home I have a house full of dog hair, dust bunnies, cobwebs, and the windows have not been cleaned in years.
The yard is overgrown, the trees dead, and I have a notice on the door from the village that I need to remove the weeds and please park the TT behind the house.

On the club level I like to see the clubs I belong to finish an event in the black.

I have heard of clubs that use the proceeds of tests and trials to do more than maintain and upgrade equipment and grounds and pay insurance.
For example, some clubs compensate their member judges to the same level as guest judges, host fee-free fun hunts, picnic trials, annual meetings, election meetings, etc.

Must be nice regards, JD

#14 ·
I think that presents an interesting question Paul, in that those who put them on are in it for fun (normally), but there is a necessary element of business involved that can't be avoided. Most clubs can't lose significant money year after year putting on a test or they will cease to exist (I believe).

From a participant's point of view, of course there are those there just for fun and others with varying degrees of business need, from titling a dog they want to breed to outright getting paid to train and handle dogs.

What I think is important is that that those with a business need/purpose find ways to assist those who do not, but who volunteer to put these tests on. That could be supplying good grounds, bird boys, advice, use of off road vehicles and other equipment. There are a lot of ways those who profit financially from the test can help those who don't.

People should be looking for those opportunities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.