The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Influence Handling

Default Influence Handling

I am new to the forum, hope I am not posting an old chewed up subject.

I am interested in finding out if anyone uses Mike Gould's & Dan Watson's influence handling technique's on their pups?

Dan, my son, worked with Mike Gould through the 80's & 90's and he appears in some of Mikes book's. Recently I got to watch Dan do some of his influence handling and was impressed on how the technique's worked.

OK, I am his Old Man so I am a little proud of the guy, but setting that aside the system works if you have several pups the same age to train. Dan usually trains the whole litter. He starts them at 12 weeks.

Does anybody out there use these handling techniques?

I have been posting short sample videos that show Dan with some 8 month old pups, the pups have not had any obedience training. The first video shows Dan walking with the pups. Scroll down in the reply's there is a second video showing how the pups work as individuals.

It's kind of hard to explain but the only word Dan uses in the field for the first 6 months is 'Hup" when he moves to birds he includes "Dead". When I trained French Brittany's I had a whole repartee along with a bunch of expletives.

Here is a link to a video that shows a pup being controled by handler movements. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqVG6n1e6H0

Last edited by dtvm7469; 08-30-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Never heard of this fellow Dan Watson. Someone mentioned the other fellow on the forum a couples days ago.
    Not sure this program would be helpful to me. Not being a stick in the mud either. But I like my puppies to be well versed with several commands by 6 months. They also do a puppy obed class and puppy agility class by 6m.We visit nursing homes after their shots and go all sorts of places with them to socialize.??? Hup ??? IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Having googled Mike Goild I am pretty confident that very few here are able to telepathically handle their dogs which is how I read his description of handling. I am always hesitant to believe or follow Anyone who's bio includes "Worlds Greatest".
    Ringling Bros Regards
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    Having googled Mike Goild I am pretty confident that very few here are able to telepathically handle their dogs which is how I read his description of handling. I am always hesitant to believe or follow Anyone who's bio includes "Worlds Greatest".
    Ringling Bros Regards

I Googled Mike Goild also but could not find anything about "Worlds Greatest" is he a dog trainer?

I'm pretty much a renowned expert on "Under the influence Handling" and offer a seminar called "Drunkworks" at a low low introductory price.

Sobriety is for those that can't handle regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Must be a dairy farm near by.
    I would certainly have an 8 month old pup doing a lot more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Must be a dairy farm near by.
    I would certainly have an 8 month old pup doing a lot more than that.
    What I am trying to find out is, Does anyone know of this type handling?

They do more than that, below is a link to a simple video, it isn't much of a video I only had a few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm pretty much a renowned expert on "Under the influence Handling" and offer a seminar called "Drunkworks" at a low low introductory price.

Sobriety is for those that can't handle regards

Bubba

I am with ya Bubba...lol

Well, your son sure seems to
    enjoy spending time with those puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by dtvm7469 View Post
    What I am trying to find out is, Does anyone know of this type handling?

They do more than that, below is a link to a simple video, it isn't much of a video I only had a few hours.

I personally don't understand what this type of handling is supposed to achieve. I think a dog at 8 months old certainly should have obedience down pretty well. I would no way ever throw a pigeon and let 2 dogs retrieve it together nor would I just throw bumpers and let 3 or 4 dogs compete for it. I see absolutely no discipline or team work in this type of handling and I don't agree with it. Looks more like stuff a pointer guy might do rather than retriever training.