The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Influence Handling

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm pretty much a renowned expert on "Under the influence Handling" and offer a seminar called "Drunkworks" at a low low introductory price.

Sobriety is for those that can't handle regards

Bubba
    Drunkworks is already part of our training groups upcoming DVD collections program name. I guess we need to copywrite the complete name before it gets used somewhere else!
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

There's a train of thought which is called "ten cent thinking". That's when your "pair a dimes" are too close together.

I really don't think anyone was trying to sell anything. Take a walk with a little pup. Keep your mouth shut and just go. With an open mind a person may discover a glimpse of physical influence (or not).
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Hmm probably something I'd do with 6-8wk old pups perhaps longer up til 4mt; before they go home or start formal training. Only I'd want them out in the field not following me. Nothing wrong with getting pups some courage in the field, prior to formal training. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be learning here and sit along side it though. That sort've thing pretty much stops @ 6mt when formal retriever training begins, picks back up with the first upland season, but they'd better know, Here, casting and whistle sit to flush by then, otherwise they ain't hunting with me .

It is well known a stiff drink will always aid in Courage training; Drunken-Works regards
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 08-25-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Why do we want to bash a successful trainer, just because we don't understand or agree with his methods.
    I wonder if Rex Carr was viewed the same way 40 years ago. Mike does not run or train for HT or FT's
    But he has cut his teeth doing gundogs. Many of the dogs he got in were dogs that were broke down by other trainers.
    Or Amateur's that thought they needed a E color and knew nothing about it. Mike trains dog to do what they were bread to do
    "Hunt and Retrieve Birds" They run the wide open country with little or no pressure. His dogs don't spin, they don't pop, they don't freeze on birds,
    and don't have no go's. We play a game and we train our dogs to play the game. If we did a break down on our success rate of dogs in our game!
    We might be ashamed of ourselves. If you take the time to read Charles Morgan's book. There was a reference, to taking a dog that won the National out hunting.
    And the friends were less then impressed with this newly crowned Champion. The comment was made "You don't take the Kentucky Derby winner out for a joy ride
    either." We love this game and we love our dogs. But in 35 plus years of dogs and hunting, Only one time did I ever have to do a poison bird blind and less then a handful of birds retrieved from more then 100 yards
    I respect Mike and his program and use a good deal of it in my training,
    If I was a pro and had clients that wanted results such as Dogs on the derby list by 12 months or running all age stakes by the time their 2. This program may not be workable.
    But If I own one or two dogs and enjoy training them on my schedule, and know I will have these dogs for all of their lives. Who cares If it takes me longer.
    Lets give the man credit. He is successful and should be credited for that.

Well said Rick, it's amazing how quickly the masses pass judgement..

Quote Originally Posted by rfinger View Post
    Why d we want to bash a successful trainer, just because we don't understand or agree with his methods.
    I wonder if Rex Carr was viewed the same way 40 years ago. Mike does not run or train for HT or FT's
    But he has cut his teeth doing gundogs. Many of the dogs he got in were dogs that were broke down by other trainers.
    Or Amateur's that thought they needed a E color and knew nothing about it. Mike trains dog to do what they were bread to do
    "Hunt and Retrieve Birds" They run the wide open country with little or no pressure. His dogs don't spin, they don't pop, they don't freeze on birds,
    and don't have no go's. We play a game and we train our dogs to play the game. If we did a break down on our success rate of dogs in our game!
    We might be ashamed of ourselves. If you take the time to read Charles Morgan's book. There was a reference, to taking a dog that won the National out hunting.
    And the friends were less then impressed with this newly crowned Champion. The comment was made "You don't take the Kentucky Derby winner out for a joy ride
    either." We love this game and we love our dogs. But in 35 plus years of dogs and hunting, Only one time did I ever have to do a poison bird blind and less then a handful of birds retrieved from more then 100 yards
    I respect Mike and his program and use a good deal of it in my training,
    If I was a pro and had clients that wanted results such as Dogs on the derby list by 12 months or running all age stakes by the time their 2. This program may not be workable.
    But If I own one or two dogs and enjoy training them on my schedule, and know I will have these dogs for all of their lives. Who cares If it takes me longer.
    Lets give the man credit. He is successful and should be credited for that.

Not bashing anyone just not impressed . Are we not allowed to disagree? Hell I watch the Lardy or Farmer videos and see stuff tha they do wrong.
    Just because I train my dogs to trial doesnt mean they cant hunt. A well educated dog that has never hunted still has plenty to learn when he hits the swamp just like a college educated kid has much to learn out in the real world but he has a great head start. I find it amazing that guys that dont know much about advanced training will turn something like this into a gun dog vs competition dog thing because someone doesnt agree with their methods.
    I have no problem with this method just dont agree with it and think dogs are capable of soooo much more. In Ut there is not much upland game to hunt so I dont train much for it. A waterfowl or competition dog need a much higher level of dicipline. A waterfowl or competing dog needs to be more of a team player and an upland dog needs to be a little more self employed. The later I believe needs much less training. I actually think the best way to teach a well trained retriever to hunt upland is to take him hunting. A smart retriever that has been taught dicipline and teamwork will pick up upland hunting pretty quick. If your going to walk back and forth in a field with your dog you might as well be kicking up and shooting wild birds.

By keeping an open mind...the knowledge gain is endless. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dtvm7469 View Post
    What I am trying to find out is, Does anyone know of this type handling?

They do more than that, below is a link to a simple video, it isn't much of a video I only had a few hours.

Interesting video but I am not sure what this accomplishes. Looks like you had fun? If I allowed my pup to do that everyday and called this training it would be a pretty interesting outcome. He would like it.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Livin' a trailer in the forest, down by the river

" If your going to walk back and forth in a field with your dog you might as well be kicking up and shooting wild birds." Now that is funny right there, I don't care who you are ! This thread is a throwback to better days.
    Train for Total Confidence not Total Compliance
    ------------->"Let 'em Roll"<--------------
    4xGMPR HRCH Sauble River "Gator"
    GMPR HRCH HRKs Liberators Outlaw "Rondo" SH
    GMPR VeraGators Smokin' Diablo of G'Force "Smokey"
    ---> Outlaw Upland~Waterfowl Labs <---

One mans trash is another mans treasure.