The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HT and FT rules for physically impaired

I would like to think that the people who participate in this great community of ours (FT/HT/HRC/NARA) saw that a a person needed to be hoisted, carried, supported though any rough cover or terrain we all jump in to do what ever it took to get that person to and off the line.
    Joe B.

Northern Colorado

HRCH Bella's Devine Independence SH "Indy"
    Lakota Ridge Sage JH "Sage"
    SHR APR KB's Lakota Ridge Delaney JH "Del"
    RIP 2014 Lakotaridge Heartsome Tanner SH "Tanner"
    RIP 2012 Oryan of Cork "Orion"

"Leave the gun. Take the cannoli."
    "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."

I was Stakes Chairing a Master test a few years ago and the walk from your vehicle was through a swampy woods on pallets to get in to the field. We had a handler that had a hard time walking and walks with a cane after he saw the walk to the line he was going to scratch his dogs because it was physically impossible for him to get into the field. We made arrangements and got him a 4 wheeler to use to get to the holding blinds and I had my son walk the dogs to the holding blinds for him so he could run his dogs.

Just yesterday I was Judging a fellow who was hard of hearing and requested that I tap him on the shoulder when it was OK to send the dog, No Problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kress View Post
    Safety and good old plain common sense about sportsmanship are considered
    What Dave said. I thought there was a line in the HT regs about accommodating physically impaired handlers but I don't find it. So, guess I'm back to that common sense thing. I have and hope that any judge would assist as needed any handler whose physical disabilities required such. Sometimes folks need to ask and I hope they would face no embarrassment for doing so.

"These are field trials and the people involved largely don't understand a normal day much less a "normal days hunt". Ken Guthrie

Since we in HT and FT make allowances for mental handicaps, of course we make allowances for physical handicaps as well, to the best that we can.....

JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 08-25-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Several years ago I had the honor to award a ribbon to am handler with CP and in a wheelchair. He and his retriever were truly a team.
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH - Peytah

Quote Originally Posted by SamLab1 View Post
    Tommy Landers, the young man with Downs Syndrome, has run the Master National and AKC HT's with assistance approved by AKC for the last 3 years. Not a dry eye in the place when he runs. I asked him if was going to run the Grand, not knowing HRC had not allowed him to run. He was very disappointed and emotional about it. Wish I hadn't asked. To not allow accommodations for someone like Tommy who loves to run his dog is disturbing, it's just a hunt test. HRC being "family friendly" and "fun to run" got lost somewhere along the line. Someone should be ashamed.
    This issue has nothing to do with the OP's question, but I am so sick of seeing posts over the past several years from ignorant people that were not there and have no first-hand knowledge of what happened. I was there...in fact, I worked that tent for nearly week and I'm the guy who held Tommy's hand and assisted him with getting into position at the line in that series (I was not judging). HRC had made the accommodations for him and all of the judges that year discussed a consistent method for judging (what accommodations were needed and how they would be looked at). Tommy was the handler, and it was determined that he could physically make the casts for the dog and his trainer who stood directly behind him told him when to blow whistles and when to make casts and what casts to make (fine). This was a water test and a beast of one at that...eating up dog/handler teams left and right during all 4 series. Tommy's dog got way out of shape on the blind and started blowing off casts. His trainer got frustrated...he started by telling Tommy the cast (fine), then he raised Tommy's arms for him (still judges allowed), then he took over the handling duties and started casting and blowing the whistle himself. It was at this point and only at this point that one of the judges quietly said the Tommyís trainerís name and said that Tommy had to handle the dog. As I said, I wasn't a judge, but I would probably be accurate in saying the dog was probably already out at that point. Tommy was never told he couldn't run the Grand or even HRC. A lot of good people bought into this story because the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th hand versions of it sounded horrific. All the while, the truth didn't really matter...and apparently still doesn't. Sound familiar??? Ferguson, MO!! The truth isn't exciting...itís just a dog who failed a series at a HT, and happened to be handled by a person with a disability. A bunch of mean judges out to get a kid with a handicap...now that's juicy!
    Chuck
    HRCH Porjay's She's No Debutante MH "Dixie"
    Wagzu's Mighty Miss. "River"
    SHR Wagner's Courtin the Ducks "Beau"
    Rainbow Bridge - (Meat Dog Extraordinaire) Shoeless Joe Jackson II "Jax"
    www.wagzuretrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/wagzuretrievers

I think some of the problem was what was said or written after the fact.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    I think some of the problem was what was said or written after the fact.
    Tom, you are exactly right! The problem is that almost all of it was said and written by people that weren't there. Everyone's hearsay version of it grows every time it is convenient to bash either the judges themselves or HRC as an organization.
    Chuck
    HRCH Porjay's She's No Debutante MH "Dixie"
    Wagzu's Mighty Miss. "River"
    SHR Wagner's Courtin the Ducks "Beau"
    Rainbow Bridge - (Meat Dog Extraordinaire) Shoeless Joe Jackson II "Jax"
    www.wagzuretrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/wagzuretrievers

Chuck,

I talked to Tommy and his handler directly in Alabama 2012. He told me directly he wasn't allow to the run the Grand because Tommy could not handle the gun. I don't have a clue what situation you are talking about. They had a letter from HRC stating he was not allowed to run. I not sure if you are covering this up or misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLab1 View Post
    Chuck,

I talked to Tommy and his handler directly in Alabama 2012. He told me directly he wasn't allow to the run the Grand because Tommy could not handle the gun. I don't have a clue what situation you are talking about. They had a letter from HRC stating he was not allowed to run. I not sure if you are covering this up or misinformed.
    The handler he was working with in 2012 was NOT the handler he was working with at the Grand. Chuck isn't covering anything up and gave you the facts.

Obviously, that story continues to grow and get blown out of proportion each year.
    Richard Gravely