The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barking while in Crate

Default Barking while in Crate

what is the best method to eliminate this? I try to catch him barking and immediately pop up next to the crate and yell no so he knows I am referring to his barking not him just sitting there. When I leave him in there he barks non stop until I tell him no and then he will stop for a few minutes and then start back up again.

How old is the pup? If it is a young pup getting acquainted with the crate, just ignore and it should stop. In fact I might do the same thing with a little older pup. I would not yell, the dog might see that as you barking.

Don't give in whatever you do! Takes patience, I tried everything and thought it would never stop. I found being consistent and giving a smack on top of the crate followed by a "NO QUIET" to be the best method. It took me weeks to get past it, but it will get better. I also would take him out when he was being quiet every chance I had and show him that being quiet was the only thing that would get him out. Now he loves his crate and he sleeps in it every night with the door open.

he is 6 months old, he goes in there at times with the door open, but I think the main reason he barks is because he knows he is missing out on whatever Im doing.

My new pup was barking in her kennel in the house when she could see us. I would cover her up so she could not see us every time and tell her quiet. She finnally got the message and now is always quiet in her kennel.

My now 6 month old pup started out barking a bit, then more and more. He only barked in the truck when I had my other dog out working. I tried to stop it by methods described above, but there were far too many times when I was out training by myself, or someone else with me could not be by the crate.

The simple and most effective method for me was the purchase and rational use of a Tri Tronics G3 Bark Limiter. Zoom now never barks in the crate, but is not fearful of barking in the house when strangers walk by or when he wants to go out or come in.... barking behaviors that are acceptable to me.

Using the bark collar was so simple, easy, and quick making it easily one of the best decisions I have made in awhile.... except of course of always telling my wife how wonderful she is.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I agree w/Mike Tome using a bark collar . My choice has been a Dogtra rechargeable. In 37 years this is the first dog I have had (Lab) who is not intimidated by more traditional methods of "quiet." Fortunately this only includes crate/outside kennel not open fenced yard or while working (FT). He is 20 months old and has been doing this since six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    My now 6 month old pup started out barking a bit, then more and more. He only barked in the truck when I had my other dog out working. I tried to stop it by methods described above, but there were far too many times when I was out training by myself, or someone else with me could not be by the crate.

The simple and most effective method for me was the purchase and rational use of a Tri Tronics G3 Bark Limiter. Zoom now never barks in the crate, but is not fearful of barking in the house when strangers walk by or when he wants to go out or come in.... barking behaviors that are acceptable to me.

Using the bark collar was so simple, easy, and quick making it easily one of the best decisions I have made in awhile.... except of course of always telling my wife how wonderful she is.
    Yes if you can find an older Tritronic bark limiter, and the Garmin bark limiters sold now are useless.

For a barker in a crate in the house a better and faster method than a bark limiter is 1/3 cup vinegar to 2/3 cup water in a hand held pressure sprayer. Takes their breath away, just walk up and soak their mug when they are barking. Once or twice is all it will take.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Yes if you can find an older Tritronic bark limiter, and the Garmin bark limiters sold now are useless.....
    What problem did you have with the Garmin/TT G3 Bark Limiter? That's what I have and it seems to work just fine.
    Last edited by Mike Tome; 08-25-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    What problem did you have with the Garmin/TT G3 Bark Limiter? That's what I have and it seems to work just fine.
    Pup barks right through it. Set on Auto it either doesnt give strong enough stimulation or the prongs are to short. I dont know which, I just know my pup said thank you can I have another while wearing it and keeps right on barking undeterred. I lose count trying to count the number of amber flashes (number of times stimulation given to dog x 10) that it shows it adminstered on the dog. I told Garmin about it and they said it wont work for all dogs. Great tech support from Garmin huh? Thats really what they said, they didn't even offer to take a look at it. Vinegar and water did the trick for pennies compared to what I paid for that Garmin bark limiter deluxe.
    Last edited by freezeland; 08-25-2014 at 05:00 PM.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)