The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: police dog stabbed

Default police dog stabbed

They were discussing this on our local radio this morning. After a long vehicular chase, pick (sp?) maneuver, and crash, the guy took off on foot and a police dog was sent after him. The dog took him down, he started stabbing the dog (seriously wounding him) and the officer shot and killed the man.

http://newsok.com/police-dog-expecte...rticle/5335571

I found it amazing that some (a minority) of callers thought the man should have been spared because "it was just a dog."

Now, I'm thinking that, if I were armed and a man was stabbing my dog... I'd probably shoot the guy. And my dog just picks up birds, she doesn't protect the public.

I was very vocal about the killing of the weimer by the police in SLC. I felt it would be appropriate for me to support the police in this manner.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    They were discussing this on our local radio this morning. After a long vehicular chase, pick (sp?) maneuver, and crash, the guy took off on foot and a police dog was sent after him. The dog took him down, he started stabbing the dog (seriously wounding him) and the officer shot and killed the man.

http://newsok.com/police-dog-expecte...rticle/5335571

I found it amazing that some (a minority) of callers thought the man should have been spared because "it was just a dog."

Now, I'm thinking that, if I were armed and a man was stabbing my dog... I'd probably shoot the guy. And my dog just picks up birds, she doesn't protect the public.

I was very vocal about the killing of the weimer by the police in SLC. I felt it would be appropriate for me to support the police in this manner.

What the H#%% do you mean "PROBABLY"!!??
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

You're right. I'd shoot the b*st*rd. Thank you for requesting clarification.

I understand your point of view, but I also understand the flip side. Consider this: #1. In the US, we are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty. We know that this man didn't stop, and was being pursued by the police. We don't know what (if anything) the man was also guilty of, because there wasn't any information in the article and he was denied a trial for his alleged offences.

The dog handler sent the dog to attack the man and take him down, and the handler doesn't appear to have been close enough to call off the dog if necessary, because the article stated the man was behind a building with the dog.

If a dog is attacking you and biting you, would you not do everything in your power to get the dog off of you? Including stabbing the dog if you had a knife? I know I would. According to the article, the dog handler wasn't there to call off the dog when the dog started attacking the man. Fighting back against an attacking dog is a normal human reaction to being attacked.

That's not to say that I feel the officer was wrong in the situation, because we have almost zero facts. I'm just saying that perhaps human lives should always be valued more than canines, and that the man's reaction to being attacked could've been a reasonable and normal reaction. What else was he supposed to do? Lay down and accept being eaten by an animal?

That dog is a sworn officer. It"s no different that stabbing a "human" officer.

The same could be said for the officer though...what else was he supposed to do if the man refused to stop stabbing the dog and the dog wouldn't stop attacking the man? Let it all happen? I think not. It's quite the conundrum.

The officer was protecting a fellow officer. It would have been no different if he would have been stabing a human partner. Damn good officer if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by birddog22 View Post
    That dog is a sworn officer. It"s no different that stabbing a "human" officer.
    That dog is not a "sworn" officer. That dog is a trained police dog, that has been granted Police Officer status. He cannot comprehend how to swear his allegience to protect and serve the public. I'm sure he's an amazing dog, but in the end, he does what he's been trained to do, he can't reason it all out like a human can. Though I think some dogs do come pretty close to human reasoning and love.

Here is is a misdemeanor to cause physical harm to a police dog and there's a move in the legislature to elevate it to a felony.

Hope the recovers.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Yet, if a criminal punches a law officer in the face and tries to take the officer's side arm, riots break out and a call for a murder charge.

The dog in this case is a law officer and the handler did the right thing in my mind... bottom line you don't run from cops, don't assault cops and you won't get shot.

The issue in Salt Lake City is about improper search where the cop had no right to be.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith