The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: police dog stabbed

In the state of Kentucky we appreciate and respect the fact that these animals put their life on the line for the public and officers and a person is guilty of Assault on a Service Animal in the First Degree when he/she intentionally and without legal justification or lawful authority kills or causes physical injury to a service animal to the extent that a service animal becomes physically incapable of ever returning to service. This offense is a Class D Felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    What would your dept. Policy be in this situation? Assuming that you were not in immediate danger but your K9 was.
    Let's make it personal, let's pretend there was a bad guy holding your beloved family pet, your black Lab hunting companion, with a knife to his throat while you were standing there armed, he starts cutting your dog's throat, what would you do?

What would your dept. Policy be in this situation? Assuming that you were not in immediate danger but your K9 was.
    I have long ago retired and don't feel adding to this thread would yay or nay any meaningful input from me. My post stands and it was a personal perspective only, read my last line.
    Earl Dillow

Fair enough Earl.

I would hope that I would not kill anybody. I admit it is was against my gut reaction when I read your post. I don't want that on my soul though. I would have a hard time living with myself if I did.

Now to keep it fair, what if it was your kid with the knife. How do you hope it would play out?
    If I had a sociopath for a kid, I would probably off myself. I don't think I could live knowing that I had raised a monster that tortured animals.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Talk about a thread going sideways!
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

No, you would take your kid to the Dr and get him help.

I'm no doctor, but it is my understanding that sociopaths are often beyond help.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Labradors are made in Gods Image also... if any being on Earth is perfect it is the Labrador...

A Police Dog may not be a Labrador, but he is still a dog... and GOD spelled backwards is DOG ...
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Some of the things I've seen on this thread are unbelievable. I agree with much (not all) that HPL and John Robinson said. If you are threatening to kill my dog and I'm around then you are taking your life into your own hands and may find that it is forfeit. This DOES NOT equate to a dog's life being of greater value than a human's (although in reality many are of greater value in terms of contribution to society - think guide dog for the blind or bomb detection dog vs. Charles Manson - I do agree with a standard that says they are not).

If someone was saying they would save a drowning dog before they would save it's drowning owner THAT would be saying a dog's life is of greater value than a human. Carrying the unconscious dog out of the burning building instead of the unconscious child lying next to it would be saying a dog's life is of greater value. Saying that you would use deadly force if necessary to defend your dog is NOT the same thing.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe it is legal in Georgia to use deadly force to protect PROPERTY, not just human life. If this is correct, and I believe it is, then this shooting would have been justified in Georgia even if it wasn't a law enforcement officer and a police dog. If I stood by with a loaded weapon while someone stabbed my dog repeatedly I would have a hard time living with myself. I'll bet that police officer isn't having any regrets about pulling that trigger but I'm sure he is going through the scenario repeatedly in his head trying to figure out how things could have gone differently and his canine partner wouldn't have lost his life.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Yeah, It got pretty stupid after a bit and I was no help with that. I deleted my posts and will not participating in this thread further. I am sorry for my participation to this point.
    Ole and Sven are quietly sitting in a boat fishing, chewing and drinking beer when suddenly Sven says, 'I think I'm gonna divorce my wife - she ain't spoke to me in over 2 months.' Ole sips his beer and says, 'Better think it over...women like that are hard to find.'