The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is he ready to hunt?

Default is he ready to hunt?

Hey everyone, I was curious if there was a way to know if your dog is ready for hunting? My first time training a retriever and never duck hunted before but I was hoping to get into it this year after I adopted the retriever this year (he's 2). Is it bad to take him hunting if he's not ready (maybe a little broad)? what are some major things people think are necessary before actually hunting? Thanks

Biggest concerns for me would be proper intro to gun fire and steadiness. The rest can be taught in the field if the dog is very steady.

One major thing would be safety. Of you, the dog, and anyone else that may be along.
    Guns and wreckless dogs is definitely a bad mix.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Ok I thought that gun training would be important. He does fine with primer loads but I haven't done work with louder loads yet. Along with that, one of my biggest concerns after safety of course is teaching bad habits

dont plan on hunting the first few(at least) times, you are a dog sitter......get dog used to gunfire(alot of it if ya hunt in groups) and very steady,,,,breaking dogs can get shot if a hunter is not careful....keep your dog on a very short lead the first few hunts at least...remember that whoever brings the dog is responsible for the dog and its actions...

Ya I can see how I probably wouldn't get to hunt.. what do you mean keep him on a short lead? I wasn't planning on swimming along side of him aha

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2410 View Post
    Hey everyone, I was curious if there was a way to know if your dog is ready for hunting? My first time training a retriever and never duck hunted before but I was hoping to get into it this year after I adopted the retriever this year (he's 2). Is it bad to take him hunting if he's not ready (maybe a little broad)? what are some major things people think are necessary before actually hunting? Thanks
    When is a dog ready for hunting? When the day is over and great memories were had. Meaning...dog has the skills to do the job at task for marks and blinds with little effort. This gives the hunter more opportunities for more game.

Are blind retrieves necessary you think? He hasn't been progressing with handling as quickly as I would have hoped.

Yes...very necessary...and essential. When you down a bird in the cattails and dog didn't see it or a cripple heads into the reeds. In the heat of the morning, it is fast and furious and you want a dog to get in and out and be ready for the next flight that comes in.

Or you could just wade out and get it yourself. I don't see that it's necessary for a dog to do blind work to hunt.
    You are probably going to want easy retrieves at first anyway.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.