The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: is he ready to hunt?

If you have never duck hunted it is hard to say what you will want in a dog. Once you go through a season with the dog, you will start to realize what it is you expect out of the dog and what it is you need to teach the dog to become a duck hunter.

I don't run field trials but I teach my dogs long blind retrieves because I got tired of going to get the ducks he didn't see fall. I teach my dogs remote sit on a place stand because there is not always room for me and my dog to sit side by side..... see where I am going with it. This is stuff you won't know about until you experience it. Take the dog hunting and you will see what I mean. You being a beginner yourself have no idea what to expect. But you will learn quickly what skills need to be taught.

You might want to go shoot some pigeons/dove first for a couple of hours to let him get used to being steady at heel and doing some simple retrieves. You will find out quickly what you need to work on with him. I assume he has had some training. If you have an e collar and know how and when to use it, that would help too. If you have never used one, don't use it without proper instruction or you can really mess him up.
    Larry Lauck
    Treasurer
    Lone Star Hunting Retriever Club
    Dallas, Texas

Field Expert
    Sporting Dog Team
    Drake Waterfowl Products, Inc.

SHR Duchess Ellie of Highlands

Thanks for the advice everyone... I would imagine we would be hunting out of a boat since I have access to those and no duck blinds at the moment. He has had work swimming through decoys so I would hope that wouldn't be a problem. I definitely have to remember the rock trick that sounds like it could help! I think he knows what mark means, I've been saying it while we train for a while now, so whether I have been saying it for myself or him I'm not sure aha... We been working with a duck call for some time now so he wouldn't be surprised by that.. and he is slowly getting onto the place board but not when I'm too far away. We got some time left before season where I need to continue with the place board and do some more gun work with him along with more live birds. Thanks for everyone's input 10426681_10202730456965956_2677927519554239926_n.jpg

I'm sure the more experience he can get retrieving any type of bird will help, I'll have to look into doves. He has been on the e-collar for a couple weeks and doing good. I'm feeling confident with him not on a leash

Since you a new to the waterfowl thing, IMO leave the dog home, go with someone who is experience in the marsh and has an experience retriever. Your senses alone will go wild. This will give you some exposure in the marsh and will give you an idea what is expected.
    BTW...Kudos on giving the dog another chance. I hope he shines with you being the new owner.

Good idea and thank you!

Most are never flawless especially when it comes to duck hunting in a blind with 6 guys... If he can retrieve a crippled duck that falls 10 to 35 yards away that will be MOST of the retrieves in a real hunt...

I am a newb as well and took my pup hunting after
    FF CC and 3 handed casting on the advice of a trainer to exspose him
    To as many birds as I could, bad move cause all it did was train bad habbits
    He is 3.5 and I and I am still working on steadying !! Next dog will
    Not hunt until he is at least into transition training and steadied jmop

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2410 View Post
    Hey everyone, I was curious if there was a way to know if your dog is ready for hunting? My first time training a retriever and never duck hunted before but I was hoping to get into it this year after I adopted the retriever this year (he's 2). Is it bad to take him hunting if he's not ready (maybe a little broad)? what are some major things people think are necessary before actually hunting? Thanks
    Cripples can confuse a youngster that has never had to deal with a diving puddler duck.
    Here is a drill I like to do before taking my youngster for the first duck hunt:
    (Crippled Tennis Ball Drill)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTk9L4KDqBo